LOOK, HELP! New chick won't walk on leg..PICS

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by funfeatheredfeet, Aug 4, 2010.

1. funfeatheredfeet

funfeatheredfeet Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    The Beautiful Ozarks
    I pray someone can help me save this chick from being crippled. Last evening, it hatched. This a.m. I noticed it was not walking on its right leg. I looked the situation over. The leg can stretch out just like the other. I gently massaged the leg, the chick did not mind. So as not to over stress the chick, I gave it some sugar water then decided to put it back in with all the others until I researched what could be wrong and how to fix it. I cannot find anything, I'm wearing myself out worrying over this little one. I don't know what to do. I went in a few minutes ago and got the chick, notice the joint of the leg has a sore on the joint (looks like maybe could be like a "bedsore") so I cleaned it up with just a little warm water, it seeps a little and looks like it has a little sore on it, I put "triple antibiotic" on it and seperated him from the clutch....they want to pick at it since it is bright pink. I've taken a pic of it, how it holds the leg up and of the sore on it's leg joint. Please, someone help me! I don't want him to be crippled and I don't know what to do!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG][/url]

[​IMG][/url]

I thank anyone for you help!!!!
    Rhonda

2. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    looks like it could be a slipped tendon off the hock. Your pictures are a bit small so hard to really tell. I think some people have had different levels of success with correcting this....

Good luck to you and your little one [​IMG]

3. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Could this be spraddle legs? Look around on that. Seems the sore could be from crawling around on the hocks...

4. funfeatheredfeet

funfeatheredfeet Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    The Beautiful Ozarks
    Thanks for replying with your advise so quickly! I don't think it is spraddle leg because the chick basically keeps it tucked up under itself and it can be stretched out in every direction just as his other leg without screaming. It's almost like he does not want to put pressure on the leg.

As far as it being a slipped tendon. I read about that and supposedly to fix it (if I read correctly) you are to stretch the leg out all the way to the rear, stretching it out (like his other leg does) and the tendon should snap into place....does anyone know if I am correct? Anyway, I did do that, but, didn't notice any snap....sigh....

It's exhausting worrying about these little pipsqueaks! I so worry that the chick is not in pain.....although, I imagine it is or it would walk on the leg.

Any ideas of what I should be doing to help?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by