Look Here!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrsfarmchick1, May 20, 2011.

1. mrsfarmchick1

mrsfarmchick1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2010
    Bandera, Texas
    I asked for help yesterday but got no answers - sorry to have to ask again.... INPUT, please! [​IMG]

My hen hatched out several guinea keets and I need to know if I can let her integrate them into the flock (she is the dominate hen), or if I should isolate her and the keets completely until they are a certain age. Right now I have her in a tote in the chicken house and the keets would not be able to get out, but I guess she could if she wanted (it has only been one day so far).
    I have food and water in the tote and the keets are eating/drinking just fine.

The only isolation area I could move her to would be a hutch that is in another chicken run with another flock and I'm afraid she would freak. I want her to be able to raise the guinea keets along with the chicken flock so they would all get along (I have 7 grown guineas that roost in the trees, but get along okay with the chickens - except when the males chase the roosters).

Any suggestions??? - and if I keep her with the flock, when should I tip the tote over so that the keets can leave it? [​IMG]

2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Let her out and see how well she does protecting them.

3. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Why don't you make a chicken wire barrier - can be pretty quick and flimsy- inside the coop to give the mom and baby keets a little corner of the coop for a week or two. That lets the other chickens see and hear them but not pick on or eat their food. Then when the babies are two weeks old, remove/break down the enclosure.

4. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    I have no experience with guineas but having said that I would let her out with the flock and see how she does.

5. mrsfarmchick1

mrsfarmchick1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2010
    Bandera, Texas
    Great advice - Thank You All!

6. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by