Look how nice my turkeys are coming along :)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by KatyTheChickenLady, Jul 28, 2010.

1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Wayyyy different than chickens but oh so cool!
    It looks like they are going to be two hens and two toms, which means we will eat one tom for Thanksgiving and keep over the others for natural breeding next year. I'm not going to get into selling the turkeys but think it would be great to be able to give them out at the holidays to family and friends.
    For those of you who know Turkeys these are the result of a Black Spanish Tom over a Blue Slate hen. these guys are stair stepped in size due to age, a week apart between each one.
    Just thought I would share as I am finding the results very pleasing and they are turning out to be quite popular with the whole family.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  2. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    They are looking great. I love my Turkeys, am hoping they will start to lay again soon( winter here).

3. 8ROYALS

8ROYALS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Petersburg, Texas
    can we be friends..lol they look great....

4. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    what age do they start to lay at?

5. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Quote:sure! I need friends who don't know me very well lol! [​IMG]

6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Nice looking birds! Your's will lay next spring Katy. You might get a few eggs this fall if you got them early in the spring.

"Everybody loves a turkey"

Steve

7. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Thanks for the info! I will expect eggs next spring then as the biggest is not quite two months old. will have lots of questions for you then!

8. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Cool! Would not have expected that mix to produce a brown bird, but then I'm no genetics expert. I had some blue slates,but they were eaten by a coon [​IMG] Will try again in the spring, though. Are your turkeys tame? I've heard that they are very personable. Cool pics!

9. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Oh my gosh Katy, they are huge! They were still little just last month. Cool!

10. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Yes very tame and extremly personable, but not sit in your lap like the chickens. the reason that I got these from the guy was that the Black Spanish Tom that produced them is his nicest most personable bird and that's out of about 50 Toms; that tom just about knocks you over try to rub against your legs like a dog.
    I didn't expect brown birds either, but I am pleased with the natural "wild" look. I think the second generation should be interesting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by