Look recognizable?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dawny2u2, Oct 23, 2009.

1. dawny2u2

dawny2u2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Winston, MT
    E-mail PM
    I am new to chickens, and, of course, am enjoying them like crazy. This is Raven, she is "different". Shy, big, the last one in, very much a loner. Is she a Black Giant? I am not very good at identification. Any help greatly appreciated. The guy my boss got these chicks from said they were all bantys... I have two black cochin roosters from the same batch, but she reminds me (remember I am new to chickens) of a crow!

[​IMG]

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

I would guess either Black Jersey Giant or Australorp. Do you know what color the bottoms of her feet are? On a Jersey Giant, they should be yellow. On an Australorp, they would be more white.

And [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    she looks like an Australorp to me - I always say mine look like crows.

4. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    If Australorps look like crows, then crows too must be beautiful. I think they are very elegant birds, just love them. By the way, she looks like an Australorp.

5. dawny2u2

Sep 7, 2009
    Winston, MT
    THANKS... Australorp she is! This is wonderful to get feedback so quickly. She is an elegant bird, till she comes running over, looks around puzzled, duhhh, why did I come here? she seems to be thinking.

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Hmm. I'm not sure I could say australorp from a picture that small. I can't make out a single aspect of her, other than she's black, on the pic (i.e. comb type). Can you post a bigger pic?

7. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Quote:yeah, look at her feet

8. dawny2u2

Sep 7, 2009
    Winston, MT
    Here she is (I hope) in all her glory, I think this should be a bigger pic, not only a new chick[​IMG]en owner, but new to internet sites that need picture sizing...

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Not an Aussie. She has a pea comb. Easter Egger, I believe, if that is indeed a pea comb. If not, disregard. Eye troubles.

10. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:It does look like she has a beard and pea comb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by