Look what DH brought home! pic heavy

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cknmom, Jul 13, 2008.

1. cknmom

cknmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Dickson TN
    In June DH brought home a new roo from a friend. He named him Eggbert. I have been very busy with DGD and am just now finding time to get on here for more than a few minutes. So here's a pic of Eggbert shortly after we got him.

[​IMG]

Here he is now.

[​IMG]

When we put Eegbert in the pen with our last hen, Basketball she wasn't sure, she wanted her old roo back(taken by predator in march). After about a week, she allowed him in they yard to eat while she was, but not with her. Last week DH brought home five new girls! It was hard to get their pic but here they are.

[​IMG]
    Basketball after she got hung upsidedown for attacking the new girls.
    [​IMG]
    Basketball right after we put the new girls in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are the first eggs the next day!
    [​IMG]

So now we need to build the new coop SOON!!
    Can anyone tell me what breed Eggbert and the girls are?
    No name for them yet, DH just wants to call them 'the girls', DGD runs to check for eggs all through the day, she wants to see their personalities so she can name them.

Monica

2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Does eggbert have a partial crest? It appears so in the second pic. Not sure what he is.

The new girls appear to be golden comets or a similar sex link.

They also look a bit rough and it's too late now, but please worm them, dust them for lice, etc. and any other preventative you can do. Since there was no quarantine done, I'd do the same on Basketball since she's already with them and if they had anything, she may/probably will have it now, too.

3. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    The hens look like red stars (sex links). And I agree. They look very rough. Almost sickly.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The hens do look really ragged. You did quarantine them for a month, right? Are they molting? Eggbert may have some silkie in him. All of mine with Silkie blood have the poufy heads.

Oops, nevermind. I read that you just got them last week. Did you dust them for mites/lice? If not, I'd do it now.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  5. cknmom

Apr 10, 2007
    Dickson TN
    We have several friends that buy their birds from this feed store also, they recommended them as they haven't had any problems with them. I assumed that they were ragged as they were in with three very large aggressive roos.

Yes Eggbert has a little tuft on the top of his head.

Monica

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Monica, there are many reasons for hens to look ragged. That doesn't appear to be just rooster damage. Just to be safe, I'd dust them for pests, at the very least. Only want you to protect the ones you already have. My feedstore gets birds from various people, too, but ultimately, being careful to protect my flock is up to me. Hope you understand, I was only wanting nothing to happen to Basketball and Eggbert. It's always advisable to quarantine birds for a period of time. I even ask people who get birds from me to do it, just to be super safe.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    i agree with you, Speckledhen. It is always a good thing to practice intensive biosecurity measures with new chickens no matter where they came from. You can bring in not only disease but lice or mites and other parasites that can be fatal to your flock.

Due to several people having horrid conditions with new chickens bringing in fatal illness this thread is a must read.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=70782

8. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I don't know about the tuft on his head, but Eggbert's feathers look a lot like Skittle my Buckeye.

9. cknmom

Apr 10, 2007
    Dickson TN
    I fully understand and when we get chicks we have them in the house for two months. Eggbert was inside for a month. At the moment we have no way to quarintine them. We didn't get chicks this time as DH is tired of spending so much on store eggs. I bake a lot and we eat many eggs. I go through about 2 -18 packs every week and a half more or less. We needed laying hens NOW. We will take everyones advice but our feed stores are all closed on sun. DH will stop and get what's needed this week.
    Last week he dropped off info about DE as they didn't know what I was talking about. We stopped in there Sat. and they said they ordered it and it should be here by wed. That will take care of both worms and mites won't it?
    Monica

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Food grade DE (codex grade fossil shell flour) is a maintenance plan. If they have lice/mites/worms you need to errdicate it first with a quicker treatment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by