Look what I am bringing home...... (UPDATED WITH PICS)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by momma's chickens, Jun 18, 2008.

1. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I just became the new owner of two 8 week old nigerian dwarf goats. I am hoping to go pick them up this week-end. The drive is almost 300 miles each way so we are going to try to make a mini-vacation.

So please give me advice and info. I want to make sure I do everything right. I have been researching and researching but it is always good to be able to talk to someone with experience!

Edited twice for typos I am so excited can hardly type. LOL

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  2. hazelton farms

hazelton farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    NC
    How exciting! Can't wait to see pics!

Stacy

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Congratulations! I just brought home my first ND's two weeks ago and we just adore them.

If your's were bottle raised then they will most certainly be all over you from day one. Mine were not and it took me about four days to win the heart of one and about ten days to win the heart of the other. Now they climb in my lap and on my back and shoulders if I'm kneeling!

They cried for a day when they got here and wouldn't let me near them. You never want to chase a goat to pet it. Let them come to you. I would just sit in with them and talk. Eventually they would come closer and closer until I could scratch their shoulders (that's one of their favorite spots).

Never pet a goats head as that can lead to them butting you in the future. You just don't want that behavior to start. I do scratch behind their ears but not on top of their heads. (This was told to me by wise, experienced goat people.)

Have lots of fun.

4. momma's chickens

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Okay thank you so much. I probably would have tried to chase it and pet it. [​IMG]

I am trying to show pics but my photobucket account is either not working or extremely slow today. I am not sure which!

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    It seems that most everybody is having trouble with Photobucket today. It's not just you.

I can't wait to see the pictures!

6. momma's chickens

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Here are the pics, please tell me what you think!

Doe:
    [​IMG]

Wether:
    [​IMG]

group pic:
    [​IMG]

7. momma's chickens

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    To be honest I know nothing about blood lines or the rest of that. I know that she has taken very good care of them and since they will be my pets I don't think the blood lines really matter.

I just thought they were adorable! [​IMG]

8. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Oh, that doeling is to DIE for! The wether is super cute, too. Congrats!!

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Too much cute!!

10. Southern Gardener

Southern Gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    Cute, cute, cute!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by