Look What I found in the old shed!!! Liked to jumped out of my skin

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by red reaper, Aug 10, 2009.

1. red reaper

red reaper In the Brooder

Aug 30, 2008
    North Central Missouri
    These are not chickens, but I thought you all would appriciate this pic. I backed the tractor into the old hog house at the old place the other day to hook onto my brush hog. I had a little trouble getting the hitch pin to line up, so I was fooling around shaking the brush hog making noise, when all of a sudden this very loud hissing sound came out from under some old hog crates. It was a very deep gutteral sound, and loud. Just like a PO'd cat hissing, but much much louder and deeper. I could only imagine it was a cat of some sort. Bobcat probably, or at the biggest, a mountain lion. I didn't have my phone with me or a gun, but I was determined to find out what in the world that noise was, so I laid down along side the wall, and slid up to the gate opening, and peeked my head around the corner, only to find these UGLY things. Baby buzzards!!!! Man that hissing just makes your skin crawl,when you do not know what is making it!!

[​IMG]

2. bishopschickens

bishopschickens Songster

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    That is so awsome!!

3. trilyn

trilyn Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Hahaha! [​IMG] OMG-I couldn't even imagine what I'd do if I came across those ugly little things! lol They're so ugly, they're cute! That's the best-thanks for the laugh. [​IMG]

4. bishopschickens

bishopschickens Songster

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    I cant believe they are white. What do the adults look like, all the ones here are black.

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Aren't they precious! [​IMG] We had a buzzard that would nest in a run down shack at my grandfather's farm. It stunk to high heaven, but getting that close to the babies was awesome!

6. AWESOME! They remind me of Showgirls [​IMG]

7. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Songster

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Congrats and thanks for the picture! That is too cool! [​IMG]

8. Kev

Kev Crowing

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Very cool! Looks like the parents are taking very good care of these chicks.

bishop, they are born with white fuzz but the feathers come out black. They're also born with dark skin which turns red when fully mature.

9. bethgranberg

bethgranberg Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    Illinois
    Great Picture! Wow!

10. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Songster

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Wow is right!!! Thanks for sharing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: