Look What I Found Today!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Mark and Carolyn, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Mark and Carolyn

Mark and Carolyn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2010
    Our first egg!

[​IMG]

2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Very pretty, what kinds of chickens do you have?

3. motohunt

motohunt New Egg

Mar 7, 2010
    south georgia
    : Hello everybody, some of our girls started laying this week. My question is when can we start using the eggs. We have rhode island reds.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:Using them for what??? To eat? Then right away... To hatch? I would wait a month or two personally pullet eggs do not do well and are mostly infertile...

To the OP congrats ..

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Ohhhhh, it has speckles!

6. LisaWVFarmGirl

LisaWVFarmGirl New Egg

May 7, 2010
    How old are your girls? We got our first egg yesterday and our girls are just 14-15 weeks old (got them at TSC the week after Easter). We didn't except any eggs this soon and didn't even have the nesting boxes filled yet. This first egg wasn't in the nesting box but was on the floor. It was small and had a hole in the big end. Not sure how that happened. Just hoped that she didn't try to eat it, but the yolk seems to be there. We got the boxes filled last night and put a golf ball in each box. Today there was another egg (a little bigger than yesterdays), this time in one of the boxes. We bought some ground oyster shells today and I've started mixing it in with their food.

7. Jaguaress

Jaguaress Chicken Addict Wanna-be

May 27, 2010
    Piedmont, NC
    Congrats! [​IMG]

8. Mark and Carolyn

Mark and Carolyn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2010
    we got them in the middle of February so i think there around 20 weeks. We have 4 ISA brown hens. and is it good that the egg is speckled?

I found this egg in one of the 2 nesting box's. I'm pretty sure i know which hen it was, and i think one of the other hens is going to start laying very soon.

9. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratz! [​IMG]

10. In His Service

In His Service Wise Men Still Seek Him

Apr 25, 2010
    Catskills
    [​IMG]
    Congrats! I remember sending my son, who was at college then, a pic on his cell phone of our first egg. He later told me that he turned to his friend and said, "Evidently we now have chickens!" Apparently I forgot to tell him, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by