Look What I Found Today!

Mark and Carolyn

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 1, 2010
Our first egg!

DSC03327.jpg

: Hello everybody, some of our girls started laying this week. My question is when can we start using the eggs. We have rhode island reds.

Last edited:
Quote:
Using them for what??? To eat? Then right away... To hatch? I would wait a month or two personally pullet eggs do not do well and are mostly infertile...

To the OP congrats ..

Last edited:
How old are your girls? We got our first egg yesterday and our girls are just 14-15 weeks old (got them at TSC the week after Easter). We didn't except any eggs this soon and didn't even have the nesting boxes filled yet. This first egg wasn't in the nesting box but was on the floor. It was small and had a hole in the big end. Not sure how that happened. Just hoped that she didn't try to eat it, but the yolk seems to be there. We got the boxes filled last night and put a golf ball in each box. Today there was another egg (a little bigger than yesterdays), this time in one of the boxes. We bought some ground oyster shells today and I've started mixing it in with their food.

we got them in the middle of February so i think there around 20 weeks. We have 4 ISA brown hens. and is it good that the egg is speckled?

I found this egg in one of the 2 nesting box's. I'm pretty sure i know which hen it was, and i think one of the other hens is going to start laying very soon.

Last edited:
wee.gif

Congrats! I remember sending my son, who was at college then, a pic on his cell phone of our first egg. He later told me that he turned to his friend and said, "Evidently we now have chickens!" Apparently I forgot to tell him, lol.

Back
Top Bottom