Look what I found today

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLWR, Jan 3, 2011.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I went out to clean out the duck hut and saw something out of place. Looked like a mouse. I thought, "Great, mouse got cold and bunked with the ducks last night, just what we need!"
    I cautiously bent down to investigate further

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, it wasn't quite a mouse, thank goodness!
    The ducklets were 5 months old yesterday.

I've read different things about the first eggs... fine to eat/use and toss the first few.
    So do we get to use this egg or do I give it to the dogs or even back to the ducks or take a few more pics after I cleaned it up more and then just toss it?

2. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    Congratulations. Im waiting for mine to begin laying. they are 20 weeks, so Im hopeing it wont be long now before I see eggs on their side of the room. I check every day coz I noticed Sly has a huge droopy egg bag under her and the runners got them just last week but they are small.
    Oh, as for your egg, me, I wouldnt eat it, take pics, crack it open, take more pics and then give it to the dogs and take more pics

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Congrats!!! That looks definitely like a first-timer egg. Wonderful! They will often lay very small eggs at first--they'll gradually grow in size. They also will sometimes be odd shapes & sizes & textures & colors. Darker colors usually come out at first, and they tend to lighten up over time.

I eat our first eggs. I don't collect eggs for hatching until the eggs reach their full mature size. But for eating--they're all good as long as they come out with a shell on. Some may come out with just the membrane, no shell, and those I don't eat--I figure they're a lot more likely to have bacteria, etc. in them due to the lack of shell. But everything else--into the fridge they go! My favorites are when they lay teeny tiny perfectly round eggs with just a yolk in them--only happens very rarely, and only to very young ducks, but they're so CUTE when they happen. [​IMG]

4. LuckyDuck411

LuckyDuck411 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Congrats! [​IMG] I know just how excited you must be! I'm on day seven of duck eggs. Our ducks are six months old, but only one of the 2 females has laid. We ate all our eggs so far and we are both fine!

5. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    We ate the first one we got but that was a year ago. Can't remember if I scrambled it or made brownies.. anyway I remember it was GOOD !!!!!

6. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    Oh, as for your egg, me, I wouldnt eat it, take pics, crack it open, take more pics and then give it to the dogs and take more pics

gofasterstripe,
    I loved these ideas and laughed out loud.
    Lots of pics for sure!

[​IMG]

TLRW, very cool egg!

Beth​

7. ejctm

ejctm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    If you turn your head to the right, the first pic looks like the egg has a heart on it [​IMG]

Congrats!

You can wash it in hot water (as hot as your hand can stand) with a little detergent if you want or not. Don't wash it in cold or tepid water as that draws the water inside the egg, along with any bacteria on the surface.

Enjoy!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  8. TLWR

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    It was covered in poop this morning (I forgot to put pine straw bins in with them last night) so I quickly dunked it in their water dish after I removed the ice this morning, wiped the rest off with a paper towel and then cleaned it inside later.
    We decided we'll give this one to the dogs. I'll take pics when I decide to cook that sucker up!

9. TLWR

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    ok, so we tried and then gave the rest to the dogs

One extra large chicken egg on the left and one indian runner duck egg on the right.
    The ducks are 3-3.5 pounds. I have no idea how big the chicken is that lays the x-large eggs
    [​IMG]

Duck egg - nice clear white and bright yolk
    [​IMG]

Chicken egg - not so clear white and a less bright yolk
    [​IMG]

duck
    [​IMG]

chicken
    [​IMG]

duck
    [​IMG]

chicken
    [​IMG]

cracked duck egg - thick shell
    [​IMG]

duck egg on the left, chicken egg on the right (with the broken yolk)
    [​IMG]

duck egg on left, chicken egg on right - duck yolk is darker
    [​IMG]

Jet gives her approval
    [​IMG]

So does Tavarish
    [​IMG]

Yes, there is a taste difference, but I couldn't tell you which was a better flavor. Jeff thought the chicken egg had more flavor.
    Flavor will change with the duck egg depending on what I feed them, maybe I'll start giving them chocolate :lol

And we have no idea which duck it came from, but our guess is either Cadbury or Blue as Blue has been mounting Cadbury in the pool for the last week.
    But it was one of these three [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    Your dogs have been brought up with manners I see...they use the silver ware...mine just lick the plates. Jets photo is classic..OMG i nearly peed laughing. LOVE LOVE LOVE the photos. Now wasnt that fun, I enjoyed it, Thank You. x
    And your duck egg made a little heart shape too. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by