Look what I found!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Foxyrockie, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Foxyrockie

Foxyrockie In the Brooder

Jul 9, 2015
    Dallas, Tx
    Out of necessity, I locked my hen up overnight a couple nights ago. The next morning, I got my very first egg. Excited right?! Well the next day, I went to let her out and got another egg. Yay! Day after that, no egg in the cage,but I hadn't locked her up the previous night. I figured, hey she's taking a day off. Next day, no egg. What the heck lady? Well, a few minutes ago I got the idea to have a look around the yard. Apparently she's been laying for what looks like about a week and a half now! Lol, guess she got tired of waiting for me get her nest together.[​IMG]

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away...

WHOA! Appearently she decided to provide you with an easter egg hunt! [​IMG]
    If you put a golf ball or two in a nest, then that will give her the idea that she is supposed to lay in the boxes. I have also seen fake ceramic eggs at TSC.
    Have fun with your new eggs!

3. Foxyrockie

Jul 9, 2015
    Dallas, Tx
    I've had some fake eggs I bought on clearance after Easter that I've been waiting to use for just that purpose. I don't blame her for making her own nest. I've had plenty of time to do it! Lol, I'm SO excited though!!!!

4. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away...

Make sure that if they are just hollow eggs that you put something in them so they feel/weigh like real eggs. If they don't weigh the same then she will just throw them out of the nest.

5. Foxyrockie

Jul 9, 2015
    Dallas, Tx
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by