Look what I got for $35.00. NOW WHAT

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ginbart, Sep 6, 2009.

1. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I had my uncle looking for a coop for me and he went to an auction and found this. It’s a rabbit cage. I live in Pennsylvania and the winters are cold. I would appreciate any help in how to make this a better coop for my silkies and be warmer for them. There is wood on half of the floor. Shoud I add wood to the rest of the floor?

I thought about putting plexy (sp) glass in the front of it. There is a door on the side. Any idea's on how to close it in but still give them light. I will be building something around it so they can come out but not be able to free range. I have 14 silkies do you think this will be big enough?

[​IMG]

2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Probably not big enough for that many birds.
    Maybe a strip of plexy for light but not so much that it turns into a greenhouse & overheats.
    You could enclose with wood a put a section of the front on hinges so it open down & becomes a ramp.

3. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:I see what you mean about the greenhouse. LOL Maybe I can take the door on the side and move it to the front making it so it opens down and inclose the 2 sides. Thats the way the wind blows, from the sides.

4. Chicks & Turks

Chicks & Turks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    That's awesome! Congrats on the find.

Things I would do:

-Slope the roof so it lasts longer and then cover it with tin, shingles, or paint it so it lasts longer.

-Cover the entire floor, no little toes will get stuck in the wire. It will also block drafts. I suggest plywood or osb covered with vinyl so its strong and easy to clean.

-I don't know if this is going to make since, but you see how the front is open, maybe you can make a plywood flap, hinged at the top so that on warm, non windy days, you can lift it up to allow light and air, but on cold days you can lower it or close completely. Have some ventilation on the sides so it can go through.

-I would paint the entire thing because you don't know what was in there before, so clean and paint.

Hope I helped, it looks awesome.

5. Chicks & Turks

Sep 6, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    14 silkies need 28 sq feet. (2 sq foot per bantam) That isn't counting how many feet are taken away from nest boxes and feeders.

6. ybmagpye

ybmagpye Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Fair Oaks, California
    Chicks & Turks :

Someone is an optimist! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  7. Chicks & Turks

Sep 6, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    Quote:Someone is an optimist! [​IMG]

It really is! To get the wood and hardware would have cost $35 alone. It looks solid and with maybe $20 you can fix it up to be perfect for some chooks!

8. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    That would be a great quail cage.. I want it. Im trying to figure out where to house my birds when they are old enough to go outside.

9. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Chicks & Turks :

Things I would do:

-Slope the roof so it lasts longer and then cover it with tin, shingles, or paint it so it lasts longer.

I did see someone else said to slope it so the rain and snow will come off easier. I will do that.

-Cover the entire floor, no little toes will get stuck in the wire. It will also block drafts. I suggest plywood or osb covered with vinyl so its strong and easy to clean.

I looked at the part that is covered and it's very think wood. I will do that to. I think I will need to use 2 pieces of ply wood to make it as high as the other wood.

-I don't know if this is going to make since, but you see how the front is open, maybe you can make a plywood flap, hinged at the top so that on warm, non windy days, you can lift it up to allow light and air, but on cold days you can lower it or close completely. Have some ventilation on the sides so it can go through.

I was thinking of doing what meriruka said and put a section of the front on hinges so it open down & becomes a ramp.
    -I would paint the entire thing because you don't know what was in there before, so clean and paint. Should I paint the inside? I would like to put siding on it. LOL Hope I helped, it looks awesome.

Thanks for your help.​

10. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Chicks & Turks :

14 silkies need 28 sq feet. (2 sq foot per bantam) That isn't counting how many feet are taken away from nest boxes and feeders.

It's 6 x 4 = 24 right? So I can put 12 silkies in it. I was thinking of having the nest boxes up on the back wall maybe a foot above the floor and the feeders I'm not to sure of. I may have to make this coop bigger.

Thanks for your help. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by