Look what I got today!....Final count! Pics!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chubbydog811, Feb 10, 2009.

1. chubbydog811

chubbydog811 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    New Hampshire
    YAY!!!
    I got in the mail today 24 very pretty eggs from siz8003. They look great! None of them were cracked or broken, and they were such pretty colours! I'm especially hoping that the green ones hatch out. In my flock, I only have white and brown layers! I need some colour to it!
    This will be my 3rd hatch (1st for this year)...I've only ever done 6 at a time - now look...24!!! I think I'm addicted [​IMG]

I have an auto egg turner...but does anyone have any good advice on hatching this many eggs? I know they all wont hatch (most likely), but how do I actually candle that many without losing all the heat?!
    Anyway, Here are some pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  2. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    I take out about a row out at a time, put them in basket, carry them to my dark room and candle them. I place them back in bator and take the next row and so on. They don't get too cool and the bator only loses a degree or so. Doesn't take long at all to heat her back up. Good luck with those purdy eggs.

3. chubbydog811

Dec 24, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Thanks for the tip! I usually candle at night - our house is very bright during the day, even when all the shades and doors are closed - so it's very hard to to it much earlier than 5pm!
    I get nervous about losing heat! My incubator is known for losing heat from being opened, and not getting it back! I've lost one batch of eggs because of it (when I was on day 18)...I'm debating getting a better incubator before spring when my chickens start laying good hatching eggs!
    Anyway, guess the trick is just be quick about it [​IMG]

4. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Could you just take out one egg carton at a time?? Then keep the carton covered with a blanket so they don't cool while you are working?? Then you won't have to open the bator so often. Or maybe do 6 or 12 eggs every night - not all in the same night? Then you wouldn't let out so much heat at a time??

Just some thoughts! [​IMG]

5. chubbydog811

Dec 24, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I use an egg turner (I wish I just used cartons, but I would forget to turn them because I'm not usually in the house). But only doing a little bit at a time would probably work great! Ill have to try that! - just stagger the candling times from day 7 - day 8 or so, or every time I see the temp is back up.... [​IMG] yay! I might not kill them!

6. chubbydog811

Dec 24, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Alright, so I went out and got a Fluker's hygrometer/ thermometer tonight...but now I have a few questions

First question, what is a good range for the humidity to be at? I cant remember, and I'm getting sick and dont have the energy to find it on the forum (its bad enough I can barely see the screen!).

Also, I'm thinking about getting another incubator for a hatcher - and later on, probably use for the first 18 days instead. Any recommendations? I need something under $120 ish. And I want a circulated air - I cant afford to buy an incubator, and a fan!
    I dont especially want another LG, but if I cant afford a better one, I'll settle and get a better one in the spring...

Any info would be great! Thanks!

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    In NH 30 to 40% day 1 through 17.

60%-70% day 18 through hatch.

the 1588 without the egg turner is $126 go to the GQF website.

8. chubbydog811

Dec 24, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Thanks! Ill have to see if they have that kind of incubator at the local agway. I know that have incubators, but not sure what the carry.

I have another question - I put my Fluker's thermometer in last night, but it reads at 92*. The one that came with the turner says 101*, and my indoor/outdoor one says its at 95*.

How do I figure out which is right? I know you can make a mix of ice and water but how do you test it if you cant submurge it?

9. chubbydog811

Dec 24, 2008
    New Hampshire
    So I candled a few of the eggs tonight (I got impatient - I was looking at everyone else's pics of chicks, and was very sad that I didn't have any)

I candled 3 of them - one from my hen, and 2 from the shipped in eggs. Mine is a day behind, but I couldn't see anything in it. Though it was from the inactive coop. The 2 other that I candled - one bantam looking egg, and an EE. I couldn't really see in the EE egg, but it looked like it was a possibility. The bantam egg had some nice veining and a little spot in the center (I'm only on day 5).

It looked like the Yolk was stuck to the shell though?
    It didnt move much when I rolled the egg around...Though the other egg was fine.

The first few days the humidity was at 50% because of the warm weather. When it cooled down again, it got down to 30% and has stayed there, though it was at 28% yesterday morning...

Should I be worried about it, or is this kinda normal?...

Any advice would be great!

10. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    It's way too early to be worried. Just keep them in there and let them do their thing. Check them on day 10 and you should be able to see something then. There is no reason to throw any of them out unless one starts to leak or smell.

~Rebecca

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by