Look what I got today *pics attached*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jack & mommy's duckies, Nov 14, 2010.

1. jack & mommy's duckies

jack & mommy's duckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    Australian Spotted Ducks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can anyone tell me what colour you think they are. They were hatched first part of September

2. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    [​IMG] oh, i am just envious!

i didn't know they came in any other colors but spotted! but i could be wrong since i just found out about the breed this past summer!

3. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    No offense, but those are not Australian Spotteds. At best, they are mixes. Australian Spotteds should never carry the Pied genes that those birds obviously show evidence of. That would strongly suggest mix, if any Aussie Spot blood at all.

They are very pretty though! [​IMG]

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Well, they're gorgeous nonetheless.

5. CityChicker

Mar 21, 2009
    I agree. I'm sure they will end up being gorgeous and a lot of people don't care whether or not something is a mix. You can always start your own line of Pied bantam ducks! Not being correct color for Aussie Spots does not make them any less pretty. [​IMG]

6. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    If they were born in September aren't they still getting their grown up feathers.. Australian spotted come in 3 color phases

7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Quote:That's possible, even mallards hatched at that time wouldn't be in their full adult colors, yet.

8. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    They are beautiful! Lucky you [​IMG]

9. CityChicker

Mar 21, 2009
    Quote:That's possible, even mallards hatched at that time wouldn't be in their full adult colors, yet.

Yes, Australian Spotteds come in three color phases, Green Head, Blue Head, and Silver Head. We raise all three varieties here. None of the three phases carry Pied genes, which is what has caused the excess white, especially at the nape, on the OP's birds. That would have been introduced by a breed other than Aussie Spot. The differences in the color phases all are the result of Blue dilution. Green Head= no Blue dilution, Blue Head= heterozygous Blue dilution, and Silver Head= homozygous Blue dilution.

There are also slight differences in plumage based on the light phase and harlequin phase as well, but none result in the excess white shown. The birds clearly though are in the process of molting out of juvenile plumage and will continue to change. The areas of white though created by the Pied pattern should remain and is not correct for pure Aussie Spots. I think it is attractive though and they are pretty birds. I bet they end up being even more gorgeous as they mature.

10. jack & mommy's duckies

jack & mommy's duckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    Do they come in white at all??? The mom is white and in earlier hatches this year she threw white babies. As soon as I saw the white I thought about white calls...and she would make a perfect white call cause she is small and small beak and feet.

What are your thoughts on the white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by