look what i got today!!! pics!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by birdbrain5, Mar 8, 2011.

1. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Songster

Aug 2, 2010
    [​IMG]

i poked my head in the stall and to my suprise i see my RP hen in the back corner of the coop doing kind of a half squat and an egg under her!!! so excited this is my first turkey egg! i will be cracking it open later to see if its fertile [​IMG] its a pretty pink with what looks like purplish speckles. lets hope the other girls follow her lead [​IMG]

2. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Very cool! I have 2 that are laying now.

3. Thomasturkey

Thomasturkey Chirping

Jan 14, 2011
    I have never cracked a egg open to see if it is fertile. Do you have a incubator? In five days you can see the developing embryo. No need to kill it. Start storing the eggs in a cool place. These where my first three eggs. They would not be here if I cracked them open. If they where not fertile then I could cook them up for the birds to eat.

[​IMG]

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Thats wonderful, congrats! [​IMG]

5. Jmiller429

Jmiller429 Songster

Jun 24, 2010
    Bedford co. PA
    jealous! that mottled black is pretty cool

6. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Songster

Aug 2, 2010
    hmm maybe your right, maybe i will just see if it starts to develop. this hen is laying for the first time, the tom is just around a year too, so im not totally confident that they will be fertile, but worth a shot!

7. tinychicky

tinychicky Songster

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    very pretty egg, i like the blueish speckles. i hope it's fertile![​IMG]

8. Taylor

Taylor Songster

Dec 14, 2008
    if you have a male turkey in with them a.k.a. a (tom) then there's a good chance it's fertile! go on, try an hatch it! I didn't think mine were fertile until i incubated them and now I have chicks! I ate my first one, you will wanna save up some eggs before you hatch them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: