Look what I got today!

LizzyJo

Songster
10 Years
Jan 27, 2009
Aptos CA
My eleven girls usually give me 8-10 eggs a day. But look what happened today!

21880_today.jpg

These girls were a year old on February 1.

I cracked the egg open and the yolk was clear! What's with that?

Congratulations! No yolk is pretty normal for "fart" eggs. In fact, a fart egg with a yolk is pretty rare!

Quote:
gig.gif
The yolk wasn't clear, the yolk was missing. That was all white. They call them "fart eggs" because they have no yolk, they're all clear, like air. Also called "wind eggs".

I got one like that a couple of weeks ago, but mine had a small yolk and white inside just like a mini version of a real egg. We ate it.
hmm.png

gig.gif
The yolk wasn't clear, the yolk was missing. That was all white. They call them "fart eggs" because they have no yolk, they're all clear, like air. Also called "wind eggs".

Yes, the yolk was there and it was clear. I moved the dish so the whole raw egg could swirl around and I could see the yolk as separate from the albumin. It held together in a yolk shape.​

It may have been the thicker portion of white, there's the thin albumin and the thick albumin, there may have even been a second glob of thick albumin. By definition, yolk is the yellow internal part of the egg, rich in protein and fat. If it's clear, it's not yolk. Even if it had membrane around it, it was still white.

I've been getting the exact opposite.... tiny eggs that are all yolk...no white at all. Comments anyone? Pullet sized eggs with jumbo yolks. just one hen doing this I think, either a welsummer or a brahma cross.

The two fart eggs we have gotten have been marble (shooter) sized soft shells, and have both had yolks.
Our eight girls have been laying since October, and we have had just a couple mini-eggs.

Back
Top Bottom