Look what I got today....

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Balefire, May 17, 2011.

1. Balefire

Balefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Orwigsburg PA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, I got 6 very cute little keets. They should be 6 days old. Hope I will become a good Guinea mom. I'm so unsure that all is right. They are more sleepy then the chicks have been. I got them from the Craigslist and that guy had the parents running around.
    Are 6 enough or shall I get some more? At last I like to have around 4 to 6 . For the 2 blue one I paied 4 per keet and for the other 3.50. Is that a fair price?

2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Yes that's a decent price, about average [​IMG] They do not look 6 days old tho, they should have more feathers... looks to me like they are only a few days old [​IMG]

The 2 "blue" keets are Lavenders, the other 4 are Pearl Greys.
    You could put a mirror in the brooder with them (taped to the brooder wall), it comforts them and gives the them illusion there are twice as many in there with them.

Make sure they are eating and drinking (you may have to dip their beaks in their water real quick a few times)... and the higher the protein content in the starter feed you give them, the faster they will grow [​IMG]

6 is a decent number, but IMO more is always better [​IMG]

Enjoy your babies!

3. Balefire

Apr 11, 2011
    Orwigsburg PA
    Thank you so much for your advice.
    I dipped their little peeks in the waterdish. But everytime, I look after them they are sleeping [​IMG], but I noticed that they spoil a litte foot around . So I hope they are eating. Maybe I can get 10 more next week from a Feedstore. Can I put them together in one brooder?

4. PeepsCA

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Quote:You can sprinkle a little food on the brooder floor in front of them, and maybe flick it around a little or tap your finger in the middle of it to draw their attention to it, they should start pecking at it.

If everyone looks/acts healthy and there's not a substantial size difference between your current keets and your new keets (when you get them), they should all be fine in the same brooder. Keets are actually more comfortable/secure when there are more of them together (same thing applies to adult Guineas - flock mentality). Just make sure the temp under the heat lamp is the recommended temp for the youngest keets (95 degrees from hatch to 1 wk old, then lower it 5 degrees for every week of age from then on until they are feathered at 6 wks - you can either raise the lamp or change out to a lower wattage bulb), and also make sure they can all get away from it if they get too warm. Also make sure the newest keets are eating and drinking and that the older keets don't keep them from the food and water.

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I've never had keets but just wanted to say they look beautiful!

6. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I've been known to grind up the chick crumbles a little bit for the first couple of days, since guineas are smaller. Maybe this would help too if you're not sure they're eating, along with the scattering food on the floor suggestion.

It did make me worry a bit about their energy level seeing that keet sitting so tamely in your hand...a typical keet would run shrieking at the very idea. Or maybe you are a keet whisperer, that's possible too!

Good luck and enjoy them, and get more.

7. Balefire

Apr 11, 2011
    Orwigsburg PA
    Thank to all of you for your advices.
    Today we moved them from the basement in out glassed-in-porch, where the chicken are and it is so cute to watch them in their tank. I saw them all eating drinking and of course po***** too [​IMG]. I tell you what..............watching keets is much more fun then watching fish.[​IMG]. My glodfish live now in the neighbours pond [​IMG], because I need the tank for my keets. Don't think I'm rude................my fishies are rescued feederfish from the store I work for ( sometimes I can't resist lol)
    Now I have another question........when I can start to give them grit? And what about worms? I have some dried ones from my lizards.......

8. PeepsCA

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    When to give them grit is debatable (everyone has their own opinion)... but I've learned they can have chick grit (or parakeet grit) and certain types of other foods and treats at 10 days old. You will want to make sure they do not gorge themselves on the grit tho (or the treats!). Be sure to still provide their starter feed free choice as their main diet.

9. YYZ

YYZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Maine
    Precious ! thanks for posting your photos.

ive never had keets either. Are their eggs the same tasting as chickens?[​IMG]

10. Balefire

Apr 11, 2011
    Orwigsburg PA
    Quote:The seller told me, that the keets are 5 days old...........but shouldn't they have some feathern then? I 'm so confused about the age of them.
    I always mixed a little grit under the starter for my chicks, and they did very good with it. Can I do it with the keets too? It's like a teaspoon of grit on one cup of starter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by