Look what I just caught in my backyard

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Imp, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

For the last couple days this little guy's been hanging around the chickens, eating out of the bird feeders. After not seeing it all day, (I kind of thought the crows had gotten it) I just heard it chirp. When I went outside to look, it had gone into the cage. I slowly approached and shut the door.

Not sure I can keep it, but might give it a try. At least it's not crow food.

[​IMG]

2. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    awwww she is a cutie, its a she...

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    What a little beauty! Somebody is missing her!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  4. Imp

You can tell it's a she.

I've had lots of caged birds over the years, but not a parakeet since I was a teen.

I'll keep an eye out for flyers/owner. It would be better to go back to her owner.

She seems very small, maybe young; or maybe just a faulty memory.

Imp

5. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    yes i can tell it is a she, above her beak is the pale pinkish tannish color, males will be blue

I have 8 parakeets, 4 females and 4 males hehe

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Awwww, I'm so glad you caught him!! [​IMG] And you're right, at least he wasn't crow food! [​IMG] Pretty little thing he is!!

7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Songster

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    You know, there's a lady who lost a similar-looking bird here in San Diego and would give a lot to get her back. I don't know if she could have traveled to where you are, though. Besides, her bird had a lot more blue on it than this one, which is very pretty, too.

If you want to read more about her missing parakeet, here's a link:

http://www.welovebirds.org/profiles/blogs/have-you-found-my-parakeet

8. Imp

Just got done cleaning up the cage and dishes. They haven't been used in years. She seems to be calm chirping occasionally and watching TV.

She'll be going into the spare bedroom while I'm not home to keep an eye on things. (Have a cat with a taste for caged birds)

Imp-Used to have canaries.

desertdarlene-Thanks for the link, too bad she lost her parakeet. Hard to lose a pet.

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Crowing

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Good for you, Imp! She must be so relieved to be back in comfortable surroundings, that are more like what she's used to. That's so cute, that she's watching TV. I'm glad you caught her before she became a meal for someone else.

10. Sassymygirl

Sassymygirl Miss Equestrian

Sep 16, 2008
    Carencro, Louisiana
    Awww! She's so pretty! I love her coloring! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by