Look what I just finessed, home made chicken tractor lots of Pics!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cat1994, Jul 24, 2011.

1. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Hi, I just finessed building my very first chicken tractor! [​IMG] I drew up the plans, found all the things I needed, and built it all by myself. I'm feeling pretty good right about now, my dad didn't even need to help me cut the wood! [​IMG] Anyway right now it is serving as temporary living quarters for my flock of Silkies (they won’t be in there for long b/c I think it is a lil small for them) until my dad and I get done with the conversion of my old tack house in to my new chicken house. After that I think I am going to use the chicken tractor as a growing pen for chicks, or maybe I will put my broody hens in there so they can hatch out their chicks in peace. Idk what I am really going to use it for yet but I know I will use it, after all you can never have to many pens! [​IMG] Plus it’s not like it cost a lot to build b/c I used only recycled stuff I found laying around the barn. Most everything it is made of was going to get thrown away at one of my dad’s construction jobs; he always brings things home when he thinks I could use it for my animals. One mans trash is another....... girls chicken tractor! [​IMG]
    This is the whole view of my chicken tractor; I painted everything I could so it wouldn't rot so easily
    [​IMG]
    This is the netting I found in the shed that keeps my good birds in and the bad birds out if you know what I mean lol
    [​IMG]
    See I can unhook the netting if need be like to get the water, you can also see the wire that my dad got from work
    [​IMG]
    You can see one of the pair of wheels that help me move it, and the hinged door that is also the roof that has a latch on each side to keep predators out, the dull green/grayish part of the roof is this plastic stuff that lets tons of light through so it’s not dark inside, apparently the stuff cost a lot of money but dad’s boss told him to get rid of it and that dad could take it home!
    [​IMG]
    This is another good view of the roof/ door and that cool plastic stuff, I was worried about ventilation but it has a lot of gapes and lil openings that its not air tight, and I prop the door open on hot days like this when I'm home
    [​IMG]
    Here is the inside of my chicken tractor, with the feeder, roost, bedding, and a nest box (the eggs are fake)
    [​IMG]
    This is a handle on the other end to help me move it (yet one more thing dad got from his job)
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for looking [​IMG]

2. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Very nice! Would make a totally awesome broody pen later.

3. Rachy

Rachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    UK
    Well done!!!!! Bet you feel very chuffed indeed [​IMG]

4. EMAW

EMAW Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Nice job with the tractor, very functional.

Did you use cedar chips in the tractor, if so you need to remove them immediately and replace them with pine chips. Cedar dust is extremely harmful for the chickens to breathe.

5. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    Very pretty. Not sure about your predator situation though. If you have coons, dogs or the like around and about, I think a sturdy layer of hardware cloth would be a wise upgrade. Also, I have been told that cedar shavings are not good for chickens because of the oils given off. Pine is best for them. Good luck with the renovation of the tack shed! Sounds like fun.

6. Long Last Farm

Long Last Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Southern Tier, NY
    very good job! you are very handy![​IMG]

7. Lee

Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Marion County, IN
    Well, you are well on your way to building any of your projects yourself. [​IMG] After your tack room is converted this will serve as a nice brooder or hospital coop. Also, ditto about the cedar shavings and hardware cloth on the top of the run. [​IMG]

8. bertman

bertman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Now that's what I call an excellent first chicken tractor!

Congratulations on doing the work and on using recycled materials.

You're getting some good feedback about the potential predator problem and the need to remove the cedar chips.

With a little fine tuning your tractor should be predator-proof and a safe haven for your birds. Nice work, cat1994.

9. Sinfonian

Sinfonian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Seattle area
    Very well done. Your construction skills are only matched by your creativity and scrounging ability! Good luck on your next project. We all can't wait to see what you do next.

10. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Thanks everybody for the advice. But no need to worry they aren't cedar chips but pine chips so no cedar dust or oils (I just ran out to look at the bag and they are pine) thank goodness lol. We do have coons and the only dogs around are my two. My dogs (especially my Rottweiler/Black and tan coonhound mix) actually patrol the property and take care of the pest problem (we find a lot of dead predators) and they are very trust worthy around all my animals (the dogs grew up around them), so I don't have to worry about anything getting them during the day. Plus I plan to pen my Silkies inside the lil house part of the chicken tractor every night and latching both doors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by