Look what Master Chief and Amara found!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by amystours, Apr 17, 2008.

1. amystours

amystours Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    Alexandria, Louisiana
    I was cleaning earlier, and happened to look outside. There is Amara with a huge stick, alternating between threatening Chief (Dobie) with it, and poking something on the ground. It was moving, and I was sort of panicked, because I got four new biddies today.

I went out to see what it was, and it was a baby possum! Apparently Chief had discovered it, and Amara whopped him with the stick to make him let it go. I ran for the pool net and brought it in the house, stuck it in an old cage for the time being. Lord knows what I'm gonna do with this thing!! I guess I should take it a good ways away from here and let it go, but it was hungry, was chowing down on a piece of leftover fish!!

I stuck the beer box in there so maybe he would go in there, in the dark!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    How cute! I looooove love possums. They are awesome critters! Good job letting this little guy live. [​IMG]

3. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I just took one even smaller to an animal rehab place. They had over 100 babies there. They said the babies fall off and mom doesn't come back for them. Our baby was so cute...the chickens just ignored it. I think they thought it was a funny looking squirrel.

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Awwwwww.......such a little cutey. Thanks for not killing it. I doubt it will survive if you turn it out, it is awfully young. They are such amazing little animals. If you are interested, click this link and scroll almost to the bottom...you can see one of mine when I got him and now. [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=44695

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
  6. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Looks like it's still very young. The adults get fairly large!

They are definitely neat animals though. They came over from australia millions of years ago. They are America's only marsupial.

7. amystours

amystours Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    Alexandria, Louisiana
    Oh gosh, I don't want to turn it out if it's not going to survive!! It's small, but not nearly as small as the one in that other post. This one will show you his/her teeth, but hasn't hissed or growled yet. I will pet it, but can't bring myself to try to pick it up.

8. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think it will be fine on its own. It's not a young baby, so it should be able to feed itself fine. Babies are very small, much smaller than this guy. I think the one you caught is just a juvenile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by