1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Look what my DH got us!!! (got our first electric bill)

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by wendy, Nov 22, 2008.

1. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    This is one of the plug in fireplaces. He really wants a soapstone. But our home we are in is small. So we are going to wait on the soapstone till we decide on a new home. But he got this,whenever we move we can put this in our bedroom. It cost 8 cents a hour to run on high. We have propane heat and you know how high that is! It has gone down a little but is still high [​IMG]

CajunLizz suggested I add the where we got it from: amroyal.com for $ 269 dollars. They have different styles and colors and sizes.

[​IMG]

It came wrapped in bubble wrap so the toddlers, our youngest had some fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Nice fireplace. We have a soapstone wood stove as our main heat source and we love it.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Nice!
    We have a gigantic woodstove in the living room. I hate it because it takes up so much room, but it's been there for 40 years and I'm sure it'll still be there after I'm gone.

4. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    It provides some nice heat for our living room and kitchen area, suppose to heat up 400 square feet. I cut down the heat during the day and early evening and run this till bed time. Propane is $181.00 dollars for a min. of 75 gallons. Before gas went down it had gotten up to $240 [​IMG] But one day he wants his soapstone [​IMG]

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

OH I love bubble wrap. I even have a virtual one on my computer at work! Nice stove, and I did live with propane for a while in the early 90's and it was about $500 a month in the winter.

6. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    You are so lucky!!! I want one!!! Begging hasn't worked yet, but I bet if I tell him 8 cents an hour, he might!!!! Congrats!!!

7. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

VERY nice! (says the person whose fingertips are so cold they don't want to cooperate) .. and BTW, adorable younglings! [​IMG]

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    thats the exact stove i have!..i was going to put it in my coop to keep them warm...i figured it was pretty safe...but after i really checked it over..i noticed the bottom (where the blower is), does get kinda hot to be around shavings...they really work well!..mine heats a unheated 15x20 room..in a new england winter(i put mine in an old gas fireplace hearth)...it dosent get real warm in the room..but it keeps it comfortable...,i think they are worth the money...take care, Wendy

9. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Love it! Where did you get it?

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Hey you! We bought a hot il radiator from Lowe's for $36 to heat to coop. It doesn't tip the oil is contained, you never have to add more or anything like that and it works fantasic!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by