Look what my wonderful boyfriend made! (new run :)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Stephanie739, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    I am still working on converting the shed to the main coop, but the chicks love their new run. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Jubilee1111

Jubilee1111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Austin, TX
    That looks quite nice and roomy. Good job to the wonderful boyfriend! I did something very similar to this when I very first got chickens.

One thing you may consider is cross fencing it so you have one half growing grass while the other side is being grazed. It gives the grass chance to recover so you don't end up with just bare dirt.

3. thomaschickens

thomaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    Jubilee makes a great point about sectioning off the grass. Chickens look so nice and happy when they're grazing in green grass yet they just can't stop themselves from destroying it LOL.

4. dancingflower68

dancingflower68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2012
    Manteca, CA
    Very Nice! Your chickens look happy! You don't worry about airborne predators? Is it hard to set up a T-post fence like that? I had considered doing that to section off my foraging area into 2 parts, but I would have no clue on how to do a door!

5. Stephanie739

Oct 7, 2011
    Thanks! Yes, we are planning on extending the run past the tree and having two separate areas for grazing and also breeding purposes. :)

6. Stephanie739

Oct 7, 2011
    I'm sure in the not too distant future, I will be looking at a muddy mess where it is green and grassy now lol

7. Stephanie739

Oct 7, 2011
    We have spoken about putting a net of some sort over the top, and are still thinking of options. The night time set up with the dog kennel is covered and very secure. I didn't set up the fence, but I know my boyfriend worked hard doing it! Hitting rocks while digging holes was the worst. One rock was huge, like a foot across, and he worked at that hole for hours trying to loosen the rock. The metal posts are not set with concrete right now, but the wooden fence is. This area is still is in a planning stage, so when we get things set exactly how we want, I do believe he will be setting the poles in concrete.

8. Stephanie739

Oct 7, 2011
    The chickens are happy! They love their new area. They congregate in the run even when I don't lead them or lock them in. Its wonderful. They had really begun wandering further and further from home during the day.

9. Stephanie739

Oct 7, 2011
    oh and I have a broody now, sitting in a little cage in the shed. I'm so excited!!! Day #2.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by