Look what showed up on our doorstep today!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Ang, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Ang

Ang Songster

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    A half-starved, beaten up pitbull girl. She is just the sweetest thing! No aggression at all towards us or any of our animals. I treated her with Frontline because she is infested with ticks and fleas. She has been eating on and off all day. She just pooped so things are moving through. Just makes me sad that someone dumped her. I am guessing by the looks of her nose and after talking to a good friend who has pits that she was used as a bait dog. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Songster

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Good for you! I hope she turns out to be a nice Pit. Keep an eye on her of course once she recovers her strength as aggression towards other dogs may show up. If she was used as a bait dog, hopefully she'll just be scared instead of aggressive. Good luck with her, she's a nice looking girl. I just hate it when someone over docks their ears.

3. I have nothing against pits at all.. My mom has them. And they are the best dogs ever.

But I would be careful with that one. She may be to weak to be mean right now. But it does look like someone put her in a fight. When she gets her strength back her true nature will come out. I sure hope she is still sweet then..

Good luck to you and thank you for giving her a chance..

4. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Songster

Apr 16, 2010
    Quote:Completly agree. Just be careful.....especcially if you have kids. But Good Luck....and good for you!!! She is a very pretty girl despite the scratches and scares.

5. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    GOD DARN SONS OF A NO GOoD [​IMG]

that is just dispicable! No dog should go through that, EVER...........

Please make a report with the police!!! What if there is a fight ring around you and you don't know it. She could be chipped and someone stole her(they do that)to use as a bait dog!!!! OMG...................................[​IMG]

They need to investigate this.......................... DANG PEOPLE [​IMG]

I also would be VERY careful with her around children. She wouldn't mean it but it would be an instinct unfortunably given to her!!! I really hope she is friendly and will be a good dog!!!She is really pretty............................

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  6. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Songster

Jun 13, 2010
    Just from the few pictures... IMO I don't necessarily see a bait dog. Maybe those wounds are just from trying to get out of where she didn't want to be. And in the summer -- or when he is boarded-- my boxer's ribs show through even though I offer him all the food he wants. So maybe she is just lost--not dumped. Please make an effort to find her owners, just in case she IS as sweet as she appears and her family is missing her like crazy.

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Crowing

Well poor girl does look chewed up doesn't she? A lot of times dogs that are used as bait dogs are ones that are the quiete, friendly or more timid dogs that don't want to fight much. That instill's confidence in the attacking dog that is being trained. So hopefully that is her nature and she will be a nice dog. My personal opinion is that people who do this crap need to have a leg cut off instead of the slap on the wrist they so often get.

8. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:I have to agree...looks like she is skinned up, not chewed up. The marks are inconsistent with fighting wounds, no tearing away of any flesh etc. They tape the muzzles from just behind the nose to just in front of the eyes on bait dogs...that is where her injuries seem to be. These marks are more consistent with digging and pushing under a fence to get loose more than fighting. She looks pretty healthy, my pits are skinny in the summer too, so much of their food is burned off running. they have an extreme metabolism with all that muscle. Anyway, maybe the sweet girl is just lost, or someone couldn't afford to keep her. They eat A TON!

9. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Check to see if she is fixed...may have been dumped because she is pregnant. Lots of folks do that here. [​IMG]

10. Ang

Ang Songster

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    First of all, the pictures do not show that her hips are quite visible as well as her spine. That is not normal. She is underweight. She was dumped no question about that. In order for her to have walked here, her pads would show some wear. Her's are smooth and soft. She is young and has already had a litter of pups. She is in heat now. Is she pregnant yet? I have no way of knowing that. Please, don't make the assumption that I don't have a clue as to what to do with a dumped dog. We have them dumped here at a regular rate. They just aren't usually in this bad of shape and I thought I would share her sad condition. We don't know if we are keeping her because we can't keep them all. Thanks for all of your concern.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by