Look What Visited Us Tonight.....Updated Post #13

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ThePamperedPullet, Jan 8, 2010.

1. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

This owl scared the begeebers out of me as it flew right past my head and ran into our livingroom window before finally setting up here.
    Luckily all our chooks are locked up at night. We have a whole herd of these guys that hang around here but never has one been this close.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  2. srhcth

srhcth Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2010
    Georgia
    What a great picture!

We had a large owl fly in front of us tonight as we were pulling in the driveway. We have several of them here as well and unfortunately we have served them dinner on a few occasions. I had one fly down and grab a white leghorn with in 10 feet from me one morning. When I would open the door in the morning it would be a race to the back porch to eat the dog food that the dogs did not eat during the night and it saw her running across the yard, needless to say they stayed cooped up a little later from then on.

3. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    He was probably half frozen:lol:[​IMG][​IMG]

I hear the temps down there tonight are just about what we are experiencing her in New Hampshire! Keep warm.

4. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    let me say... owls are gorgeous... but they are predators (As u know)...

we had a barn owl who was picking off our young free rangers...

anyone know the laws on killing a predator? (im in arizona), what are the laws where you live?

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Wow, just gorgeous! Good thing your chickens were locked up for the night! [​IMG]

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    That is a great picture. [​IMG] Not many people get the chance to see an owl let alone take a pic. of it. Congrats. A lthough they are not the best thing to have around chickens and ducks.

7. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    BellLisamo, the laws on raptors (hawks, eagles, owls) are the same nation wide. Federal law protects them.

8. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:It is supposed to be 17 degrees tomorrow morning as we head north for a show in Lake City, Florida. We even have a chance at snow flurries in the morn. My wife and I are from up north so we know what it is like.

9. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:Gotcha. Some crazy lady who came to buy geese from me, told me she shot an owl, and TOLD the game and fish dept. They came and picked it up and didnt charge her! I knew better than to shot the darn one that was picking off my chickens. I strung up kite string. LOL

10. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Beautiful picture. I love Owls, as well as hawks, eagles, etc. I know they don't mix well with chickens, but the birds of prey are just so majestic. Nature is truly interesting, isn't it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by