1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Look what we caught today

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by AccidentalFarm, Apr 17, 2007.

1. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    ...a Coral Snake - in my garden, next to the coop. DH caught it and stuck it in a soda bottle. We are going to relocate it to the far end of our property, about 10 acres away. I wonder how the chickens would have dealt with this guy?
    [​IMG]

2. BigR

BigR Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2007
    Lake County Fl.
    I would relocate half to one end of the property and half to the other end.

3. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

BigR [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I almost choked on a jelly bean over that one!!

Are those snakes poisonous??? [​IMG] UGH!! We found our first garden snake today...my grandson found it while we were mowing.

Garden snakes....I can handle....NO OTHERS!!!

5. eichenluft

eichenluft Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2007
    VERY poisonous - be careful handling that one. There is a King snake that looks like a coral snake - what is the color rhyme? Red next to black, your safe Jack - red next to yellow - kill a fellow. Looks like red next to yellow to me! I still wouldn't kill it - they won't harm you if you don't harm it. But, be very careful!

molly

6. shemarie

shemarie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2007
    Topeka, KS
    Yup...red next to yellow will kill a fellow..I just googled it. Coral snakes are really poisonous....I'd follow BigR's advice.

7. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    I'd skip the relocation and put that bottle in the deep freezer for a few days. Then throw that poisonous snake popsicle away. Yucky snakes.... [​IMG]

8. peanut

peanut New Egg

Mar 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Last year mowing I found the King snake that looks like the coral snake. Coral snakes don't live here but it still scared me half to death. Snakes are cold blooded would freezing kill it?

9. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    If not, the lack of air in the bottle would.... [​IMG]

(Sorry, I really dont do the creepy crawly thang..<<bleh>> They creep me out...)

10. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    Freezing would absolutely kill it. "Cold blooded" just means that it can't shiver and doesn't keep a steady body temperature.

I don't know if I'd be as nice as to relocate a coral snake. Maybe... but once you got it in the bottle, sheesh... I'd kill it. It is dangerous to pets and kids.

-MTchick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by