Look What We Found In The Yard Today!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by redhotchick, Jun 30, 2011.

1. redhotchick

redhotchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Fort Worth
    My chicken,Wanda, has been staying out of the coop for 3 weeks & I knew why! Look what we found!!!! I just got chickens 2 months ago & have LOST MY MIND!!!! I do not know what to do though.Should I pull these lil chicks tonight or wait till later? I have a heat lamp & just raised 6 babies fine.I am ready now too.I was thinking about building her a pin tomorrow & letting her raise them.What do I do?!!!! She has about 8 chicks out & runnin around & about 6 eggs under her.I dont wanna loose any! I am already gonna be up all night & am gonna put my dog near her on a line.He will go nuts if something comes near.Please help,Its getting dark!!!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. NorthTexaschick

NorthTexaschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Denton area
    Sorry, I don't know what the best thing would be to do. But those chickies are ADORABLE!![​IMG]

You know, sometimes the moms will leave the unhatched eggs when several of her babes have hatched, so you may indeed want to take them in. Best of luck from the other side of the metroplex!

3. ChickenboyNmom

ChickenboyNmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2010
    South Lyon
    I would transfer the hen, chicks and eggs to a large cage. We are on our 3rd broody hen. We had to transfer the first mom and babies/eggs to a cage in the house - they hatched the end of March and our weather was quite cold. Check out the broody hen thread.

Enjoy

4. kerrysmommy

kerrysmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    My house :]
    Quote:i have to agree here the best thing would do is put all three items in a cage thing and than tommro you could build them a little housein place.

5. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    Put all of them in a large Dog kennel...something will get them if you don't. THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL!!!! congrats!!!!

Joni

****place the kennel in your garage or barn****

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  6. redhotchick

May 22, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Well after a sleepness night,They are all fine!!!!! I just checked on momma & babies & all is good.I put my dog on a line out there last night & he does his job well.When I tell him to watch something,he does it like a true solider. He is the best dog,but that why I like Blue Heelers.I do have a huge dog crate & we are gonna bring them inside today.It was in the high 80s lastnite here,so I doubt they got cold under Wanda.
    I gotta tell yall though,We love these girls like we cant say. Never knew chickens would have such a huge impact on our lives. We were leaving lastnight to go to the beach.When we found our new chicks,we never thought a second more about going.Our stuff was already in the car,& the kids at grandma's! Now instead,I get to build a little run them!
    I'll post more pics as I take them today!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  7. redhotchick

May 22, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Ok,we had 7 & they are all up and running all over the place.They are alert & look fine.She still has a few eggs still.We mover her into a huge dog crate I have & she is doing fine.I know to some of you this is no big deal,but we are so happy!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  8. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    AH, but that's where you are wrong. See, to all your "normal" friends this is no big deal . . . . . but we are your CHICKEN friends and we are thrilled for ya!!! [​IMG]:jumpy:yiipchick

9. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Did you say NO BIG DEAL???!! I have lots of chickens and now ducks...and each time or I just go get up the eggs.. it is A BIG DEAL..in fact, I did a vacation last year and was stressed out most of the way there wondering if the person I had to watch my animals was going to take good care of my babies...I got home other night in the pouring down rain and ran out to check on my baby ducks....TRUST ME..IT IS A BIG DEAL.. [​IMG]
    I am sooo happy for you and those little babies are adorable.

10. In His Service

In His Service Wise Men Still Seek Him

Apr 25, 2010
    Catskills
    Quote:X2 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by