Look who arrived today!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MaddBaggins, Jan 30, 2013.

1. MaddBaggins

MaddBaggins Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2013
    Tucson AZ
    All happy and hungry! 8 Plymouth Barred Rocks and 8 Buff Orpingtons. I split an order with my friend and he'll be taking 1/2 of them after they grow up a bit. The brooder is in the garage with a space heater keeping the garage warm and another heater keeping the brooder at 95˚F. The heater in the brooder has only the slightest air movement, so the chicks aren't getting blasted. I'm in Tucson, so my garage sits at about 60 this time of year, so it doesn't take too much to warm it up.
    I have a mix of MannaPro medicated chick starter and some chick starter from the local feed store. After much reading here, I decided to use paper towels for the first couple days, to keep them from eating the pine shavings.
    These are our first chicks and will be our first flock. Pretty stoked!

Thanks to Purely Poultry for the help and good communication.

. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Congrats! They're adorable [​IMG]

3. MaddBaggins

Jan 25, 2013
    Tucson AZ
    My daughter and I have been out there for a couple hours getting to know them. Some neighbors came over to check them out also. Mrs Baggins is excited, but she won't be home until late. So far, everyone has been eating/drinking/sleeping/peeping/pooping and running around. Hopefully we don't lose any.

4. HeeereChicken

HeeereChicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2012
    Adorable...Good luck![​IMG]

5. ohiochick2013

ohiochick2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Yay! How exciting!

6. MaddBaggins

Jan 25, 2013
    Tucson AZ
    Well, after the first night, everyone is alive and 15 out of 16 are running around making noise. We have one Barred Rock chick who is a bit lethargic. She'll drink when I dip her beak and eventually get up and move around a little after I get her to drink a bit. She slept closer to the heater than any of the others and is smaller than the others. Right now, I'm mildly concerned and will continue to watch closely. I don't go back to work until monday, so I have the time to check on them constantly.

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Have you got some electrolytes/vitamins for chickens, or can you get some? Infant vitamins (without the iron) will work to. That would perk her up a bit, or a little sugar water.

1 person likes this.
  8. MaddBaggins

Jan 25, 2013
    Tucson AZ
    I do have some poultry electrolytes in the water. Maybe I'll try some sugar water with her.

9. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Sometimes mixing some starter and water and feeding them with a syringe helps too. Good luck, hope she makes it :fl
    Nikki

10. MaddBaggins

Jan 25, 2013
    Tucson AZ
    Sugar water seems to have jump started her a bit. She's moving around and going to water on her own. I haven't seen her eat though since yesterday. Fingers crossed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by