1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Look who came for a visit.Hawk(pics)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by birdnutz, Nov 27, 2008.

1. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    A juvie sharp shinned decided our place looked promising. Too small to be much of a worry,just some raised heart rates from our flock. He's on the hunt for all those pesky starlings. The more he eats, the less we have to feed. But he wasn't successful this day.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  2. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    I think he's gone to tell his buddies were theres a good place to eat this winter...cool pictures ....

3. birdnutz

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    It was kind of funny watching our very large toulouse geese open wings and run from this little guy. It would take him a week of riding them just to get thru the down.LOL

4. Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thank you for seeing nature in a different light instead of …”Cousin Kelm…get the rifle!” [​IMG]

Love your quote.
    ----------------------------------
    ….make peace with Nature or she will take peace from of you. [​IMG]

5. birdnutz

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    Thanks ladyhawke. As my name says,I love birds. Heck I even feed sparrows. The sparrows graced me with a trio of white babies.Hawks are just beautiful and gracefull,I love to watch them. Not to say I hope they decide to take their meals elsewhere. I will discurage the large ones with my presents and sometimes yelling. It's worked so far anyway.LOL

We need another JFK!!

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Fantastic pictures.

7. chickypoo

chickypoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Colorado
    [​IMG] Nice pictures! We had a Cooper's Hawk sit on the fence and watch the hens for a little bit. I swear, you could read it on his face, "Well dang it, they are too big. And here I thought I had a free meal." I love hawks!

8. bantamfan

bantamfan Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2008
    That's a small coopers or sharp-tail hawk, and they prey on small birds like sparrows, or chicks if they're out in the open. They haven't bothered my mature bantams.

9. cheapcheaps_girl

cheapcheaps_girl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2008
    Villa Grove IL
    cool pic. there awsome [​IMG]

10. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Coppers will take Pigeon and Pheasant size birds also. I have seen them take some pheasant hens I had turn loose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by