look who was sitting on my run this morning

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by hsm5grls, Dec 27, 2007.

1. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    [​IMG]

he is not that big and the run is completely covered. Just thought it was a neat thing to see as long as he can't get to my girls

2. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    Then there was loud bang and he had a heart attack and fell off the perch? He knows they are there, it won't be long before he will be looking for lunch.

3. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    That makes for some very nervous birds tho.

4. hsm5grls

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    that is why I am too nervouse to let them free range. We have a lot of those around and bigger ones. They are always run off before too long by the dog or cats. I don't think there is anything I can do to get rid of them short of shooting them and I don't think that is legal. Maybe a b.b. gun?

5. HobbyChickener

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    Shooting any bird of prey is not legal. Letting a bird of prey kill your chicken is not right. Some time this takes drastic measures according to some.

6. hsm5grls

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    What do you think I can do? Is there something I can put out there that will scare them from coming? Any suggestions? I hate to harm any wild animal I don't intend to eat but I also do not want to have a chicken killed either. I think they are beautiful birds but not in my yard.

7. HobbyChickener

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    I have heard that the fake Owls help but I am not sure. I do know that if you use one you have to move it a couple times a day.

8. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I have been going back and forth here to google to try and indentify your bird. I came up with a sharp shinned hawk and a cooper's hawk(they are very similar). I am assuming when you say small you might be referring to a sharp shinned hawk, a coopers hawk is the size of a crow, while the sharp shinned is the size of a dove. The sharp shinned hawk kills mostly small birds and small mamals. He or she is really beautiful.

9. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    We have these around my area (Maryland) and yes they sit on the fence next to the yard. It is amazing though, I have never lost a standard chicken to them. I would not trust them with chicks or the silkies. When they come around, my old rooster would sound out and all of the ladies would head to the covered yard. As soon as the hawk left, the chickens went right back to free-ranging.

10. hsm5grls

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    I would say it was about a foot tall. Not that big. Do you think it could harm full grown chickens? I would love to let the girls out once in awhile but I am afraid to. We have bigger ones and so I am hoping that I can get something to scare them off so the girls can be out a few hours a day under supervision of course.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by