Looked like blood in the poop!

mkenner

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2017
i was cleaning the coop this am and found what appeared to be dark but bright bloody poop. All three chickens are acting completely normal and everything looks good upon inspection..they did eat dark purple grapes two days ago..could this be what I am seeing? Never had anything but normal poop before so it caught me off guard! Thanks for any input!!

IMG_6553.JPG

This is after I examined it..normal looking other than red color before I looked at it.

That looks more like blood possibly from coccidiosis. How old are they? Watch their behavior for any sleepiness, standing around hunched or puffed up, more blood or mucusy poops, and not eating. Corid (amprollium) from the feed store will treat coccidiosis.

How old are they?

If they were mine, I would treat for Coccidiosis asap. You can use Corid which can be found at most feed stores and online. It's possible it could be something else, but the Corid won't hurt.

Another option is to collect some samples and have your vet perform a fecal float and gram stain checking for Cocci, worms and bacterial infection.

Corid dosage for Cocci is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon.
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

Thank you guys for fast response! We will treat just in case. Two of the birds are 13 Weeks and one is about 7 Weeks. Better safe than sorry! I have a few week olds in a brooder also..no contact..should I go ahead and treat them also?

How old are they?

If they were mine, I would treat for Coccidiosis asap. You can use Corid which can be found at most feed stores and online. It's possible it could be something else, but the Corid won't hurt.

Another option is to collect some samples and have your vet perform a fecal float and gram stain checking for Cocci, worms and bacterial infection.

Corid dosage for Cocci is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon.
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

Do I need to do anything to their coop? I clean it out, coop and run, daily.

Chicks do need to be exposed to their droppings to help build resistance to Cocci, so scoop excess poop and keep bedding dry around water stations. Cocci is naturally in the intestines of a chicken, when there is an overload this becomes the problem.

Yes, at that age I would defintely treat for cocci. When your week olds go out on soil later on, you could give a preventative treatment which is a third of the acute outbreak dosage.

Yes, at that age I would defintely treat for cocci. When your week olds go out on soil later on, you could give a preventative treatment which is a third of the acute outbreak dosage.

Are you saying I should treat week olds also? My outside birds that are being treated still seem completely normal. I have found a total of about four piles of poop that seem to have a bit of red, no where close to the first though so if it isn't cocci hoping I caught it very early and will be a quick fix!

Back
Top Bottom