looked like guts hanging out

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cindy leigh, Dec 16, 2009.

1. cindy leigh

cindy leigh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2009
    my daughter posted the other post, below.
    She went out to put the girls in and the black austrolope didn't come in. She went to pick her up and noticed what looked like guts hanging out (her description). They are back in now, and a bit of clear fluid is dripping occasionally. Just a drip here and there. She has pooped normally since she cae in the house. She was hatched 3 days before Easter this year and has been laying eggs normally. They eat laying crumbles, scratch, oyster shells, and treats such as yogurt, cottage cheese, fruit and veg scraps.
    Thanks for any help!

2. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Hi Cindy,
    It sounds like your chicken prolapsed. I lost my sweet Audrey that way: the egg laying organ got damaged and I could not push it back in.

The chicken may not make it. There are many posts on this issue, if you do a search, you will get some information. You can push the organ back in if it is clean and undamaged, but I do not know how much long term success people have with hens who have this happen.

Good luck with your hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by