1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lookie Lookie Here! (pics)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ContessaKris, Aug 4, 2011.

1. ContessaKris

ContessaKris Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Grandview (SKC), MO
    Guess who is very very happy at this very very moment!

We're still waiting to see if the eggs we have will hatch (its day 21) but in the meantime, these came today!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hot2Pot sent way more than I expected. Wonderful! Can't wait to start incubating them!

2. Islandmom511

Islandmom511 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    I've been following you...any action on your eggs on lockdown? Mine pipped today! AND I heard chirping! I am sooooo excited, but not getting my hopes up. I know hatchign is the hard part...

3. MommaBugg

MommaBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    NE MICHIGAN
    what kind of eggs?

4. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

how cool! [​IMG]

5. ContessaKris

Jun 28, 2011
    Grandview (SKC), MO
    It's a grand mix of eggs: Rhode Island Reds, Buff Orpingtons, Lavender Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, Buckeyes, Black Australorps and silkies. We're over the moon! Do Silkies have to be incubated differently? I'm curious...

We're letting them rest a day from the travel and to see what happens with the ones in the incubator. So far, nothing happening. I just don't think we're going to get anything... Boo.[​IMG]

6. MommaBugg

Mar 19, 2011
    NE MICHIGAN
    Quote:When did you set? I was told that banty eggs set and incubate the same as heavies. Also I hear that brown eggs are harder to see through when candeling opposed to white or lighter eggs.

GOOD LUCK!!!

7. ContessaKris

Jun 28, 2011
    Grandview (SKC), MO
    I just rec'd the eggs Thursday and I have overdue eggs in the incubator so I was waiting on them. I'm going to candle tomorrow and probably toss the whole bunch, clean incubator and then put these in by Saturday night. We'll see...

We've had the hardest time seeing through the brown eggs, but my flashlight might not be bright enough...

8. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Do a float test on them How long over due are they? Wait just re read today is day 21 I wouldn't mess with them till they are 3-4 days late. Unless your just really wanting to get the new eggs set. 21 days is a guide and chicks don't always follow it lol.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  9. MommaBugg

Mar 19, 2011
    NE MICHIGAN
    Quote:I am having issues with my BO eggs and candeling. So I used one of my brooder lamps with a reg incadescent bulb inside a big box with a hole in it. Worked great as far as seeing a little something in the yolk that looks promising. Though I STILL cannot determine where the air pocket is(the eggs are almost round) Anyone know if round eggs are viable? I have most my eggs in a home made turner made of egg carton, but took two EE eggs out because after candeling I found a couple small cracks that look like SOMEONE was pecking at it.. They are still in bator but laying on side. Is there any chance at all that these will hatch?

I have heard of people getting hatches after a whole week past hatch date.. It depends on a lot of things, constant temp control being a main issue with late hatches. I have seen a lot of stories of temps dropping under 99.5 and the chicks developing slower. Give them a week. Also I have heard from a few sources on here that swear by tapping a coin on the glass of the bator to hasten pipping. BUT if you have some time sensitive new eggs, I suggest making a candler similar to the one I made, that should give you a good idea if your eggs are going anywhere!

Just a couple of things I thought I would share, this is my first attempt so I dunno if these things work, just passing it on in hopes it works!!

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by