Lookie! My homemade rolling kitchen-island

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by dewey, Oct 11, 2012.

1. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    I've been waiting quite a while for it! LOL (Made by S.O.) The pic is at a weird angle [​IMG] but it's really cute and sooo handy. The top is made from leftover plywood. I didn't want any shelves on it because it'd just collect stuff, oh, and be a dough-loving cat magnet when rolling out dough. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Nicely done! [​IMG]

3. dewey

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Thank you! [​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    23 years ago I inherited the 'cooking' responsibilities. The Princess cooked the first 25 years the second 25 are mine. After that? [​IMG] Our kitchen is VERY small and the idea of a kitchen island has always intrigued me. Just don't think that we have enough room. Enjoy it and compliment your SO on a job well done.

5. dewey

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Sourland, thankfully, it sounds like there's 2 years left for you guys to figure out how meals are gonna be made around your place! (Hope you both are quicker than I am because it can take me that long to decide what's for dinner when nothing strikes my fancy, lol.)

This kitchen is very open with lots of counter space, but about 8' x 12' of open flooring between the frig, stove, and counters. This island is 3' x 2' so there's still plenty of space to walk around or roll it out of the way, and days that I'm not feelin' so hot it nicely closes the gap of that space to make it easier to make a sandwich or something, lol.

Speaking of small kitchens...I've had mini "islands" in RV's...you know, the kind you slide out from under the counter, and was thankful to have any amount of extra counter space, lol. For a smaller kitchen I had I considered the fold down islands...those always looked so handy to me.

Thank you again, I'll tell him! I've had him build a few other pieces so he's a bit behind. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  6. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Just gorgeous!

7. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Very nice![​IMG]

8. dewey

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Thank you! [​IMG]

Gonna really love it for the holiday meals coming up (grand babies will probably wanna use it as a skateboard, lol). I'm always wishing there was just a few more places to set things...it's not that big but it's amazing what an extra 6sf can do, lol. I should have removed the almost too ripe banana on it before the pic (those are for S.O.'s rabbit that lives in the living room)...and instead placed an open cookbook on it for the picture. LOL

9. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Very nice job! Congrats to you! [​IMG]

10. dewey

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Thank you! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by