Lookie what I found- NJ

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by thewarriorchild, May 31, 2008.

1. thewarriorchild

thewarriorchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    HAY for FREE - 60 acres (Bedminster)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Reply to: [email protected]
    Date: 2008-05-31, 11:52AM EDT

I have 60 acres of hay that needs to be cut. Anything you cut you can bail and take for FREE.

Please call me on my cell 732-882-2291

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 702298749

2. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    [​IMG] Sounds like you better get to work.

3. thewarriorchild

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    Quote:ROFL you coming, I think I have a sickle laying around here somewhere! I do not even know what I would cut that with but if I were a farmer with equipment I would take it it must be worth something!

Deborah

4. Calebs Acre

Calebs Acre Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    When I read, "I have a sickle", for some reason, I just started laughing until my stomach hurt! Hay here on Long Island is $9.50-plus per bale and I would LOVE to cut this hay, but I would need more than two of us with sickles out there to get that done. I figure with the two of us, we might get it cut in about 10 years.

5. thewarriorchild

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    ROFL [​IMG] I couldnt think of what else we would cut it with! I would only hope only the hay got cut [​IMG] hehehe
    I like my fingers!
    NINE FIFTY!!!! Whew! That is crazy!
    If I drive up to sussex there is a guy who has a shed at the side of the yard (as long as people stop stealing from him) where you take your bales and put your $ in a "can" locked tight of course. It ranges from 4-6 or so a bale. I crammed two bales in a toyota tercel with about 250 pounds of chicken/rabbit feed, my daughter and some chicks and ducks!!lol that was a sight. Maybe I should just fill up the tercel and bring home some fresh cut hay forget bales! Imagine how long it would take to get that out of my car I would have hay in there for years!

6. Calebs Acre

Calebs Acre Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    Oh, good, another night owl like me! I have to buy hay in the next few days. I should consider going to Jersey or CT but with gas and tolls, it just adds up pretty fast. Love the guy having the 'Honor System' and a can!! That's pretty funny.

7. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    We just paid $4.25 a bale. We are still cheaper than other states but we are definitely worried about rising hay prices.

8. Serendipity

Serendipity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Maryland
    We make our own hay for our horses & other animals. We would never be able to afford to keep our animals otherwise. $4 - $5 is an average price on hay - You should see the prices that they pay for a bale of hay in Florida & California. It would be interested to have someone from those states post the current price. Yesterday I was on a horse forum and the prices that were posted (again current prices) were between $8 - $12.50 a bale! And with the price of fuel - especially diesel going over $4/gallon - that is only going to translate into higher hay prices and grain prices because the farmer needs the fuel (often diesel) to run the tractors and equipment to harvest the crops. I can't imagine what the price of a bale of hay is going to top this fall.
    People will be letting the grass in their lawns grow and you will see them out harvesting it with a scythe! [​IMG]

9. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    There was a post like this on the Charlotte NC board too last night.

Serendipity, we are starting to cut here in SC, but our drought was so bad last year that we were having hay shipped in for FL. We were paying $85 for 500 lb rolls from dealers. In all the years before we would buy left over hay from farmers for our horses. The most we had ever had to pay was $35 for a 1000 - 1200 lb roll. Now even picking up in the field from farmers it is between $65 -$85 a roll when you can find it. They are starting to sell first cutting, but it isn't worth having with all of the weeds. We had a late summer and grass is just starting to grow. It's only now getting upto 60 at night.

Square bales start at around $8 from farmers, but are more than $12 from dealers.

10. Serendipity

Serendipity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Maryland
    WOW GwenFarms! I can't believe you are just starting to get in your first cutting! I am in Maryland and a lot of farmers already have their first cutting in and their fields are rapidly producing a second cutting. The problem that we are having is that we have had one of the wettest Mays on record. We can't seem to get several days of dry weather in a row to harvest the hay.

We haven't started our first cutting yet - it has been just too wet and the rain has been erratic. It can be beautiful out and then out of nowhere we will get a torrential rain storm for about 15 minutes or so - and then sunny again. But unfortunately you can't harvest a quality crop of hay in this type of weather.

We purchased round bales on hay this Winter and paid $75 - $85 a bale for 900 pound bales. And ... we were one of the fortunate ones... we found someone who actually had hay for sale. We make all of our own hay - but with the drought last year in the fall - and the late Spring - we had to feed more hay than what we produced. Animals... they are not a cheap hobby! Of course - our animals are part of the family - so we just bite the bullet and tighten finances elsewhere.

It should be interesting to revisit this thread in January and February of 2009 and see what the price of hay is bringing.

I am still amazed at the weather that you are having. We have had a late journey into Summer as well - but we had an unusually hot stretch of weather in April and our grass popped out of the ground. But - our May was more like March or April - and now June??? Who knows?

$8 - $12 a square bale is hard to imagine in your area... I can't fathom what it must be in states where they have to ship in the hay!

Thanks for posting! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by