Looking 4 hatchery or couple of Buff Orpington pullets near OC, Ca

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by alexOC, Dec 22, 2008.

1. alexOC

alexOC New Egg

Dec 22, 2008
    Garden Grove - Ca
    Hi

Looking for a hatchery near to Orange County, some place that handles the vaccinations as well, or a couple of Buff pullets and would prefer not to mail order.

Let me know if you have some or know where I can go locally.

[​IMG] Thank you!!

2. 562Jen

562Jen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2008
    Long Beach, CA
    I'm in Long Beach and would be interested in a buff to join my 2 girls - an Araucana and a barred Plymouth. There's another post on this site from someone in LA looking for a buff. If we can't find anything local, I would be interested in splitting an order of eggs - unless my Christmas dreams come true and Santa leaves a chick under the tree for me! I was going to try Ham & Eggs Ranch in Norco if I'm not gifted a chick - not sure if they have Buff Orpingtons, but I know they have some interesting breeds.

3. alexOC

alexOC New Egg

Dec 22, 2008
    Garden Grove - Ca
    Ok so im my search for chickens local to OC I have found the following, don't know if you can use it or not...

Most of the feed stores I went to carried chickens either on hand or at some point in the year.

Blacksmiths in Lakewood (Lakewood Blvd about a mile or so South of the 91) They had the most readily available stock of chickens, ducks, geese and the like... (even a frisky goat that would charge the fence constantly)

They have a VERY large selection of items, most of which I thought was a bit pricey, but the sheer volume of stuff they have on hand is better than most places... plus they have a bantam rooster wandering the store that you can pet!

Magnolia Bird Farm (Cerritos & Magnolia in Anaheim)- Does Not Have Chickens
    Though they do carry avian supplies and you can find well priced items here

I asked about chickens while I was here and they referred me to a place in Orange off Chapman and Prospect -- I thought it was Foothill Feed but I was told that it is not. Forgot what it was called.. Acres something..

Yorba Linda Feed (Rose Ave North of Imperial Hwy - about 3 miles East of the 57) They have chicks around Easter time.

They are a feed and pet supply store, found the staff to be very friendly and the prices much better than Blacksmiths. They carry feeders and waterers, along with other items. As we have other animals as well I found the prices to be pretty good on other items as well, the selection was better than expected for a "small store" (the store is next to the storage barn).

Foothill Feed Supply (Chapman Ave East of the 55 East of Prospect in Orange) Have chickens & bunnies now!

They too get most of their stock around Febuary, but had a few chickens on hand, looked like 3 month old pullets, do not know what breed however. Small store (very small - only 3 cars can park in the lot!!), mostly a horse and pet supply store. I asked about the price of DE and they are about $23 a bag. Which I think is the 20 or 30 # bag....

So most places do not carry the Buff's when I asked about them... I may have to place a order and then rehome the ones I don't need.

4. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Alex,

I am in the process of putting together an order with Welp Hatchery. There is minimum of 25. I will be ordering soon for a February delivery if possible. I had a post on Los Angeles Craigslist a week or so ago. 3 other people have contacted me about ordering as well. Let me know if you are interested. They will be day old chicks when they are shipped. I live near the Lakewood feed store called Blacksmiths Corner and I believe this is who the also order/ get shipments from since they display their posters. They will only order when they are out of chicks, and they don't have an idea of when that will be. They currently have a lot of Easter Eggers and RIR about 4 to 6 weeks old.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  5. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    Hello gang. I live here in Pomona and there is a feedstore called pomona fuel and feed. They usually carry a few differant kinds of chicks. They have all kinds of good feeds and supplies at fair prices. In fact I will be going tomorrow to try and buy some cornish crosses. Give um a call if you dont want to order a bunch of chicks. [​IMG]

Chef

6. GardeNerd

We have more than met the minimum for the February delivery. The breeds I am ordering are Buff Orpington, Barred Rock, Red sex-linked, and Ameraucana (easter eggers.) All pullets. If anyone local needs to add on to the order let me know asap.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  7. GardeNerd

No more orders. We placed the order last weekend. If I have any left over after folks pick up their orders, I'll put a up a posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by