Crowing
12 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Tennesee Smoky Mts.
Hi All,
frow.gif

This is the hottest day of the year thus far. I am looking for ways to help
keep the flock cool.

I put ice in their water several times a day.

Was wondering would a small kiddie pool in the pen be
a good idea??

Thanks

If they are not used to being in a kiddie pool, they won't use it. However, you can place them in it, holding them there to acclimate to it. They cool down quickly and quit panting. Then I let go and they exit when they want.

I run a sprinkler around a tree each morning so they always have damp ground (which has a cooling effect close to the ground).

We are 105-110 and all is fine.

Last edited:
i use a large bin,
and dip them in when its very hot.

at first they dont like it, but they learn to LOVE it!

It took about a week before they liked to sit in front of the big fan and also walking under the dripping water from the sprinkler. They even like being out in the rain now.

I just have a few girls and even though (briefly) about bringing them in the house! It's going to be a hot one here too. I may fill a kitty litter box with cool water for them to stand in.l I don't think I'll let mine get too wet. I have a few silkies and I don't think they would dry very well.
Some nice cold watermelon is always a nice treat, too!

Thanks Everyone.
smile.png

I have fans going, replace ice in the water about
ever few hours and cool treats. Hopefully that will
do it.

They did not like the pool so I did not push it.

I will just hope for the best
thumbsup.gif

Its really hot here today too. I froze a watermelon for my birdies. Its easier to freeze it after you cut it in half (guess how I found that out). I also froze 2 gallon size milk jugs and sat them in their drinking pans- they are 2 quart square pans. The jugs have been in the water for a while now and they are still mostly frozen. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom