Looking at 1st First Aid Situation-need Proactive Advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lymanmomof3, Jan 1, 2013.

1. lymanmomof3

lymanmomof3 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2012
    Southern Maine
    My 9 month old Buff Orp didn't eat today. I brought out their afternoon snack (I've been spoiling them to help them through the winter, I figure pilates in the spring and we can go from there). Today's snack was cut up strawberries, brocolli & bread. Yesterday it was cracked corn, sunflower seeds, alfalfa and some grit mixed in. Sometimes I bring them warm oatmeal with cranberries.

Her sisters went ape over today's snack. Honey sauntered over, took a look, nibbled at a strawberry and just walked around then went back to sit down on the hay pile I made her in the corner of the coop so they have a warm place to retreat to.

When I brought out their second round of non-frozen water and their before bed snack she again did not partake. She looks normal. Her comb isn't as red as it was in the summer when she was a laying fiend (none of my chickens have laid since it got to be so dark here in Maine) but otherwise, she appears OK.

I think I'm facing my first chicken emergency and I need to know what to look for tomorrow. What crop symptoms, poop consistency/color, comb appearance, etc....should I look for?

2. lymanmomof3

May 24, 2012
    Southern Maine
    She didn't eat again this morning. She did drink water though...getting nervous...

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Ok what does her poop look like?? And check her for mites or lice!! Have they ever been wormed???

4. lymanmomof3

May 24, 2012
    Southern Maine
    Oh I think I MAY have the cause of the problem. I give them a LOT of corn and sunflower seeds. It's 5 degrees here in Maine and I've been doing it before they go to bed to keep them warm but I just read something about fatty liver disease?? I really need to keep an eye on her and cut out the carbs for everyone I think. She drank water today and had some meal worms but when I brought out the treats for the others, she walked back to her comfie spot.

I have never wormed her, how do they get worms? I will check for parasites tomorrow morning, didn't even think of that but the others are behaving normally, wouldn't they be infested to? And with it being 5 degrees out, would the parasites even live?

5. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    They can get them from worms,cockroaches,crickets,etc. I would worm them and yes since they live in the chicken they do survive in the winter.

6. lymanmomof3

May 24, 2012
    Southern Maine
    I meant would the mites survive in this weather.

What is your take on the amount of scratch I give them? I give them about 2 cups of treats a day, especially right before they roost for the night. I didn't do this in the summer because they free-range but all they've been doing is sitting on their butts with this high carb and fat diet so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. They haven't been touching their layer pellets. I was just feeling bad at how cold it is and that they don't have anything to do right now but watch the snow blow by.

7. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I think mites can survive. If they aren't eating the layers then I wouldn't feed them any treats till they start eating the layers, otherwise they will rely on the treats and not the feed their supost to have.

8. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    What's weird is there seems to be a chain of BO's getting Fatty Liver Disease, huh.

When chickens are spoiled with treats, they'll ignore the nutritional chicken food in their feeder. You need to switch them back to regular chicken food. Try putting a handful of dried chicken food in a container, dampen it with water. Offer it to them. If they don't touch it, sprinkle a little seed on it.

They need to get some exercise. Hang some broccoli high enough so they can jump, but not hurt themselves landing. Because it's so cold where you live, and it rarely snows where I live, I don't have many ideas letting your chickens get exercise, sorry about that!

Check their poop for foamy, off colors.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  9. lymanmomof3

May 24, 2012
    Southern Maine
    Well, I stood my ground this morning and only gave them pellets. Heading home to give them some warm water and no treats. They aren't cuddly like my dog anyway :)

10. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    A treat every once in a while is good. If they don't come in contact with fresh vegetation (since it's so cold), you can give them some a leaf of kale, lettuce or broccoli, just make sure they are eating their regular food too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by