Looking at 4 wheelers. What does power steering mean?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by muscovy94, Sep 4, 2010.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Hey everyone Im looking at four wheelers and see that some four wheelers have "power steering" and others don't. What does power steering mean?

2. thaiturkey

thaiturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    There's a little device that makes the steering of the vehicle lighter. It means that you can steer easily with your hands at slow speed instead of wrenching your stomach muscles. Never go out without one. [​IMG] It's many years since I encountered a vehicle without power steering, other than really old ones.

3. jafo

jafo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    You mighta had power steering in Thialand years ago, but Polaris just came out with it. I think Can -Am also and it won't be long 'til theyt all have it. What model(s) / brands do they sell in S.E. Asia that have it???
    Any way, power steering makes it (the machine) handle much more easily. If you're looking to buy, tell the sales people of where / who ever you're looking at that you want to try BOTH, one with, and one without, then you can see for yourself. Myself, we ride a lot. Things break on a 4 wheeler, and I would rather not have it. My wife, maybe, but not me. Choose wisely, and be safe.
    Quote:

4. thaiturkey

thaiturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    I thought that '4 wheeler' meant '4X4'. I Googled 'Polaris' and see that you mean what we Brits call 'ATV's' or 'quad bikes'. We have the smaller versions here in Thailand without power steering. I can't see see that it's really necessary or desirable. As you say, it would be another thing to break on a vehicle that gets tough use on the steering.

5. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Power steering is the same in a car. If you turn a car off, put it in neutral (keep the brake on!) and turn the wheel, its a heck of a lot harder to turn the wheel.

If you need/want it, it depends on what you are doing. We have a Gator, and I love the power steering, as we drive on a lot of windy, hill terrain, and I wouldn't be able to take the strain on my arms without dislocating something.

6. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    Basiclly it just means that it will be a lot easier to steer if you get the power steering. If you are light of build and don't have much upper body strength it would come in handly but otherwise it's not something that you really need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by