looking at getting

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Cynth, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Cynth

Cynth Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lyman, Maine
    would like to know if somone just got a pair of geese what the best would be. I live in Maine so need a hardy breed and can we eat the eggs? I used to have geese when I was young and they used to cuddle up wth us in our lawn chairs. They were great pets. would anyone suggest a particular pair???
    I think the snow geese are beautiful but will probably do whatever I can find around here in southern Maine. Do geese get along with chickens and ducks? Also I have read it is better to get 2 hens instead of a male and female??? what do you think?

2. TinkleTurkey

TinkleTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    Yes we had a huge flock of toulouse they were so cuddly and sweet as babies we loved them - but then they went rogue. The males were SO LOUD AND MEAN and the females got pretty moody too it was like we had a bunch of angry loud bicycle horns I was a little embarassed that the neighbors 3 blocks down could hear em - so I got rid of them.

But if you can maybe try to have only females and remember that they change personalities and are evil.

3. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Just about any of the farm type geese will probably be a good choice for you. They tend to be a bit more docile than the swan neck types. Americans, Pilgrims, Cotton Patch, Romans, etc. would all be fine choices. Sebastopols would be another option. Both trio and pair is fine. The trio has the advantage that if something happens to one you still have two left rather than having a lone goose left, which can be hard on them.

Some geese are friendly. Most are not. The docile ones are usually more tolerant than anything, but still not overly friendly. If cuddling in the chair with a goose is your main goal in getting them I would advise you to pass. You may get lucky and get one that enjoys it, but you're more likely to be disappointed. If that's just part of your fond memories and you're looking for the full goose experience on the other hand, then go for it! They're great birds. Excellent lawn mowers, hilarious entertainment, unrivaled watch dogs...

If cuddling is a major part of your motivation and you decide to proceed despite my advice I would strongly urge you to buy them sexed and cuddle your female(s) but not your males. The closer the male bonds with you the more likely he is to cause serious problems when he gets older. Work around him, spend time with him, make sure he's comfortable with your presence, but maintain a little distance and dominance.

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    They are noisy during the day, but if you have the space that is not a problem. too bad you don't recall what breed you had growing up, they sounded nice. Most waterfowl are pretty winter hardy. If they are raised around chickens they will get along with them ok. My male geese chased the chickens some, but chickens are a lot faster so it wasn't a problem.

I guess any domestic goose would have fine eggs. We have Pilgrim and Sebasopol who are almost a year old. After reading the other posts, now I am worried that they are going to turn on us. They may not be cuddly into adulthood, but it doesn't sound like all of them turn mean. Sticking to females might still be the safest bet though.

5. Cynth

Apr 13, 2011
    Lyman, Maine
    I guess it all depends on who you ask and how they are with their geese and what kind of geese. Next summer I think is our plan for these. lots of research on what kind.

6. Cynth

Apr 13, 2011
    Lyman, Maine
    scratch'n'peck :

I guess any domestic goose would have fine eggs. We have Pilgrim and Sebasopol who are almost a year old. After reading the other posts, now I am worried that they are going to turn on us. They may not be cuddly into adulthood, but it doesn't sound like all of them turn mean. Sticking to females might still be the safest bet though.

I just looked at a sebasopol. wow, I like! where does one get eggs for those for hatching? what can you tell me about them?
    C​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by