Looking at new recipes for Christmas cookies...

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by BettyR, Nov 18, 2010.

1. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I made these to try them out for my Christmas cookie collection and OMG they are sooooo good I just had to share.

Edited to add: I almost forgot...I added 1 cup of chopped pecans to the caramel layer. I also made the shortbread layer in my food processor with cold butter instead of softening the butter. I think it makes a much more tender shortbread.

Caramel Shortbread Squares
    recipe from allrecipes.com

Ingredients
    · 2/3 cup butter, softened
    · 1/4 cup white sugar
    · 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    · 1/2 cup butter
    · 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
    · 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
    · 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
    · 1 1/4 cups milk chocolate chips

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C).
    2. In a medium bowl, mix together 2/3-cup butter, white sugar, and flour until evenly crumbly. Press into a 9-inch square-baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes.
    3. In a 2-quart saucepan, combine 1/2-cup butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and sweetened condensed milk. Bring to a boil. Continue to boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and beat vigorously with a wooden spoon for about 3 minutes. Pour over baked crust (warm or cool). Cool until it begins to firm.
    4. Place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 1 minute, then stir and continue to heat and stir at 20-second intervals until chocolate is melted and smooth. Pour chocolate over the caramel layer and spread evenly to cover completely. They need to sit overnight to set up properly.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  2. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    They look yummy!

3. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Oh, they are beyond yummy and really easy to make.

4. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    They look delicious and really very special! They will definitely be on the cookie plate this year!

5. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:Thanks Lesa....

They stay fresh tasting for at least a week just covered loosely on the counter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by