Looking at poop.....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JHortonx5, Dec 16, 2016.

1. JHortonx5

JHortonx5 Just Hatched

Jul 6, 2016
    Apex, North Carolina
    I have 3 hens and I've been finding these pieces in their poop for quite a while. Is it some kind of worms like tapeworms? I can't seem to find a vet in my area that treats chickens nor does anyone at tractor supply seem to know anything...[​IMG]
    I hope you might be able to at least point me in a direction of solving this issue.

Thanks,
    Janet

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    It looks like glass.Can you separate the white stuff with a stick and feel if it is sharp with gloves.

3. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Looks like maybe feather sheath dust. Have your birds been molting?

4. KayTee

KayTee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    I agree with coach723 - it looks like the bits that fall off the sheaths when new feathers are growing. My flock has recently been moulting and in the morning the perches are sprinkled with this stuff.

Even if your birds are not suffering a severe moult they may well have been renewing some of their feathers recently (it's the right time of year), and so during their evening and overnight preening some of the feather sheath dust will likely fall down and stick to the poop. I wouldn't worry at all - it definitely doesn't look like worms. [​IMG]

5. JHortonx5

JHortonx5 Just Hatched

Jul 6, 2016
    Apex, North Carolina
    Ahhhhh!!! That's it!!! I went out this morning to look at fresh poop and this stuff was on it again! I touched it (ewww) and it is not glass. It's light weight, like a snake skin or peanut skin. Yes, my girls have been molting. That makes perfect sense!! I'm so relieved!!
    This group is such a wonderful resource. Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  6. KayTee

KayTee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    Welcome to the wonderful world of chicken keeping - poking at poo, cleaning up pasty butts, researching fecal images online.... the fun just never stops! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    LOL!![​IMG]
    Having chickens can be a long list of 'new experiences'. Glad it was an easy one this time!

8. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Yep.......I never thought i would be sticking my finger up a chickens butt.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  9. JHortonx5

JHortonx5 Just Hatched

Jul 6, 2016
    Apex, North Carolina
    Oh the things I have to look forward to!!! Glad y'all are here!!

10. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

In all my years of Chicken keeping I have never looked at Chicken poop. stuck my finger up their poor butts or had a sick Bird......Respiratory I have had...I manage my Flock.....Zero symptoms......Not cured, Healthy Birds that do not display symptoms.....

Cheers!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by