looking down the road with different aged chicks and feed

sayccrn

Songster
Jun 14, 2020
Atlanta, GA
My Coop
My Coop
OK, I have 4 week old, 1 week and tomorrow new baby chicks. When they all go out to the coop permenantly, how do I keep their different foods separated. Like the 4 week olds will start laying before the new ones (I hope), and will need layer feed then and more calcium, will that hurt the newer chicks? Can I put them all on the layer feed at the same time (when they are older), or do i keep feeding them the starter until they start laying too?

Plus, I am looking for a good, but not expensive organic feed, any recommendations? My local feed store does not carry organic at all, so it looks like I may have to order it online. And how much would I need(when they are all on the same layer feed) for 5 pullets, who get to graze during the day?

Thanks in advance for the assistance. :) Have a clucky day!

You cannot successfully feed them separately so do not bother trying.

I use Purina flock raiser Mostly but I will purchase Any major brand that has the latest manufacture date when I go to the store (tractor supply).

The way I figure, more than half the year:
- you have chicks
- you have hens not laying due to daylight hours
- you have hens not laying due to molt (and this can be months and months of the year if you look at all the times any single hen is molting)
- You have a broody
- You might have a roo

I just see no reason to buy layer feed when any given day one of these factors could be impacting the flock and layer feed would negatively impact at least one bird. This is why I don’t even consider any feed but the most recent mill date Flock Raiser (any brand) with a can of oyster shell always present

That is a copy paste of another post I’ve made but basically, Feed all your chickens flock raiser from hatch until death

I feed my hens 22 months old a Starter Grower feed 18%.
My chicks 7 weeks are fed a Medicated Start and Grow feed 18%. After 10 weeks old when bag is empty they will be fed the same Non-Medicated Starter-Grower as the hens.
I offer Oyster Shells in a separate container for the calcium.
I also have a container of poultry Grit "Granite" for digesting seeds, bugs and greens.
the 4 week olds will start laying before the new ones (I hope), and will need layer feed then and more calcium, will that hurt the newer chicks? Can I put them all on the layer feed at the same time (when they are older), or do i keep feeding them the starter until they start laying too?
You could switch to a Layers feed when the younger chicks start laying. GC

I too feed Purina Flock Raiser, which is fresh by mill date at the local feed stores here, for the same reasons above.
If you definitely want an organic feed only, ask if your feed store will order one for you, from a company they already use. Several companies now offer organic chicken feeds, so check online or at the store and then ask. Do pay attention to the mill date on each bag, and buy fresh!
I don't buy organic chicken feed, because of cost, and because we don't eat only organic foods ourselves, so neither do the chickens. We do buy some organic foods, but not everything. If you want truly organic eggs and chicken, they can't eat anything but organic items, and their environment needs to be 'organic only' for some years. You can look up the standards online.
Mary

I feed my hens 22 months old a Starter Grower feed 18%.
My chicks 7 weeks are fed a Medicated Start and Grow feed 18%. After 10 weeks old when bag is empty they will be fed the same Non-Medicated Starter-Grower as the hens.
I offer Oyster Shells in a separate container for the calcium.
I also have a container of poultry Grit "Granite" for digesting seeds, bugs and greens.

You could switch to a Layers feed when the younger chicks start laying. GC

Ok so, the calcium on the side. the birds that need it will know and eat it and the other birds won't?

I too feed Purina Flock Raiser, which is fresh by mill date at the local feed stores here, for the same reasons above.
If you definitely want an organic feed only, ask if your feed store will order one for you, from a company they already use. Several companies now offer organic chicken feeds, so check online or at the store and then ask. Do pay attention to the mill date on each bag, and buy fresh!
I don't buy organic chicken feed, because of cost, and because we don't eat only organic foods ourselves, so neither do the chickens. We do buy some organic foods, but not everything. If you want truly organic eggs and chicken, they can't eat anything but organic items, and their environment needs to be 'organic only' for some years. You can look up the standards online.
Mary

Yes, they will be organic, not for selling, but just for us. I have a nice little garden and a big backyard, so they will get plenty of yummy stuff too. We eat all organic, so I really would like them too as well, what's the point if they don't, right?

Back
Top Bottom