1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

~Looking for 2 ducks for the kids

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mamaof2wi, May 11, 2016.

1. mamaof2wi

mamaof2wi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2016
    West Central Wisconsin
    new here!

I am looking for some calm/QUIET duck breeds. We live in the country on a dead and road and have a creek running through out land. After reading on ducks I thought they would be the perfect fit for us. We only want to start out with 2 (female/male) as I heard from others they are so dirty they would never get ducks again. So I thought start out small and grow if we enjoy them. I was looking at the Welsh Harlequin Ducks or Cayuga Ducks?

Also is there a part of the forum that is by state? So I can find a breeder in my area?

Thanks!

BTW I live in Wisconsin so need a tough winter duck :)

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  2. neetabeamie

neetabeamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2014
    Teton City Idaho
    What state do you live in?

3. mamaof2wi

May 11, 2016
    West Central Wisconsin
    Wisconsin

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I have a welsh harlequin and she is both quiet and calm.

A suggestion - I'd go for a trio. 1 male to 1 female can be hard on the female, but also, if something happens to one, you will still have a pair and not a lonely duck.

Here is the Wisconsin thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/245700/wisconsin-cheeseheads

5. mamaof2wi

May 11, 2016
    West Central Wisconsin
    Thanks for the suggestion! I was thinking about 4 ducks at first, but people scared me on how messy they can be. I will go ahead with 3. Maybe go Male WH and 1 Female WH and 1 Female Cayuga? Do you have or have you had any Cayuga?

Thanks for the link!

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  6. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Depends on what you consider messy lol
    Ducklings are messy. They play in their water in their brooder. That makes a big ol mess. But if you are aware ahead of time and take steps to minimize, it really isn't bad. I brood outside and that helps immensely. There are several threads on ways to cut down on water messes in the brooder. You basically want either a way to keep the water from getting out of the waterer to begin with or a way to contain it once it does get out.

I used puppy pads under the water dish at the beginning. Nobody was trying to eat them, so I wasn't concerned. After the first week or so, they were spending more time on the deck rather than in the brooder (other than at night), so water mess was on the deck and not an issue.
    Keep your food and water a bit away from each other so they aren't dragging a mouth full of water to their food and making a mess and by the time they get to the water dish, most of the food is not longer stuck to their bills to get in the water.

Once they are in their coop (and you can brood in the coop as well), it depends on the coop to how to manage water.
    I don't put water in the coop once they are old enough to not need food and water available all the time. If it is hot at night (much of summer), I may provide water. I hose the coop out daily, so if they make a mess over night, eh, no biggie for me.

I built a 11x7 raised pond for my girls. Any splashing they do just waters the plants next to the pond. Their pen has dish of water on a block so they don't hop into it. This summer when they have to be penned up, I will use a kiddie pool and dump every other day - that will water the plants around the pen and any grass that hasn't died yet.

I have a large yard they free range in, so I don't notice holes they make when they are drilling for bugs or bare spots or things like that that result because they are in a smaller space. When it rains and we have a lake in the yard, there are gobs of puddles, so they don't focus on just one, they play in all of them, so once dry, I never know there was a duck puddle there.

A lot of duck mess is how to manage it.

I don't have cayugas or know anybody that does to be able to comment on them.

1 person likes this.
  7. Doro

Doro Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2016
    Just to play devils advocate I had to post to let you know that my female WH is the loudest out of my bunch! She is also the friendliest, but definitely the loudest. :)

1 person likes this.
  8. neetabeamie

neetabeamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2014
    Teton City Idaho
    I am new to ducks as well. I am getting my 4 (Welsh, Cayuga, White Layer and Buff) in June. I have done some extensive research on each breed and found that they are k own for being
    Calm, friendly, curious, quiet and all around good pets. It really depends on the individual bird however. but these breeds are the most likely to have those good traits.
    I also like the Ancona breed but 4 birds are enough for me at this time.
    Regarding "Messy Ducks" It is true that ducks will splash, tumble, poop, eat and be a degree of messy HOWEVER you can significantly reduce the smell, mess and frustration by dong a few things.

1 Do not use bedding! bedding traps the stinky smell of the poop and pee by traping moisture thus resulting in the smell. don't use it. use Shelf liner. shelf liner the (gripey stuff) something like this

Shelf liner is easy to clean (washes right off) and then you can keep using it. but most importently it dose not trap the moisture so the poop dries fast and the pee evaperates = hardly any smell.
    Clean about every other day.

here is a intire thread that really helped me to decide what brooder and other things I wanted to use.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1099053/how-to-keep-your-brooder-clean

2 make a watering station
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/641902/created-a-water-saver-for-my-duck-brooder

3 use a large plastic tote for your brooder. what I did was find a one that was about 3' long by 17'' wide. this should be big enough for my 4 for about the first two weeks then hopefully they will be at room temp and I will make a brooder that is the 7' x 7' they will need until they go out to there duck yard and house. I plan to use some extra wood I have laying around and some L brackets to secure them together. under the brooder I will have plastic that extends past the wood with shelf liner on top of the plastic.
    this should work out ok i think. we will see.

4 get Story's Guide to Raising Ducks
    It is an excellent book and reference guide. you can get it on Amazon used for a good price.

check out this thread it has some great information

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/242460/the-ultimate-list-of-duck-treats-and-supplements

Also I have seen a lot of threads on here concerning ducks with Niacin deficiency .
    buy some brewers yeast and have it on hand just in case.

you will also need

grit

Purana flock raiser

A type of heater for the brooder I used a heat lamp with the red heat bulb with my chickens but i am going to try Victors ultimate flee trap this time.
    http://amzn.com/B000668Z96
    Just so you know (it took me a while to figure out what egg color I was going to get with each breed)
    Cayuga = black, gray, green, blue eggs Cayugas also get white fethers with each molt so If you have your Cayuga for all of it's natural life you will have a beautifull black and white duck.
    Welsh = Perl white
    Buff = Large White eggs
    White Layer = Large White​

1 person likes this.
  9. mamaof2wi

May 11, 2016
    West Central Wisconsin

2 make a watering station
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/641902/created-a-water-saver-for-my-duck-brooder

3 use a large plastic tote for your brooder. what I did was find a one that was about 3' long by 17'' wide. this should be big enough for my 4 for about the first two weeks then hopefully they will be at room temp and I will make a brooder that is the 7' x 7' they will need until they go out to there duck yard and house. I plan to use some extra wood I have laying around and some L brackets to secure them together. under the brooder I will have plastic that extends past the wood with shelf liner on top of the plastic.
    this should work out ok i think. we will see.

4 get Story's Guide to Raising Ducks
    It is an excellent book and reference guide. you can get it on Amazon used for a good price.

check out this thread it has some great information

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/242460/the-ultimate-list-of-duck-treats-and-supplements

Also I have seen a lot of threads on here concerning ducks with Niacin deficiency .
    buy some brewers yeast and have it on hand just in case.

you will also need

grit

Purana flock raiser

A type of heater for the brooder I used a heat lamp with the red heat bulb with my chickens but i am going to try Victors ultimate flee trap this time.
    http://amzn.com/B000668Z96
    Just so you know (it took me a while to figure out what egg color I was going to get with each breed)
    Cayuga = black, gray, green, blue eggs Cayugas also get white fethers with each molt so If you have your Cayuga for all of it's natural life you will have a beautifull black and white duck.
    Welsh = Perl white
    Buff = Large White eggs
    White Layer = Large White

Wow thank you so much for taking the time to help me out!!​

10. mamaof2wi

May 11, 2016
    West Central Wisconsin
    What is your fav duck and why?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by