Looking for 4 or 5 coturnix in SF Bay Area this month -- April, 2015. Will quail lay without roos

MissB123

Hatching
Apr 1, 2015
New, here! I hope somebody is out there who can help me get started.

I've raised chickens for more than 10 years.

Is it true that quail are much neater birds?

I have yet to raise quail, but I am doing the research, and I've decided that I would like to get

the most docile chicks (or juveniles) that I can, maybe a couple of goldens and a couple of Pharoahs

or browns or crossbreeds.

Does anyone have quail for sale (around 12 to 16 oz. as adults) that are daily egg layers?

I'm picky, but I'm a good grandma/mom with an empty coop and a good sized yard. (empty nester)

I would raise them for their eggs and as pets. I would like to be able to hand feed.

Hens only... I can get a roo when I get an incubator.

I'm assuming that they will lay without a roo around. Will they?

:)

Experienced advice would be much appreciated!!

Last edited:
New, here! I hope somebody is out there who can help me get started.
Good morning.....

I've raised chickens for more than 10 years.

Is it true that quail are much neater birds?
Bobs and other new world quail produce little waste. Coturnix eat alot, and it passes thru fast.......

I have yet to raise quail, but I am doing the research, and I've decided that I would like to get

the most docile chicks (or juveniles) that I can, maybe a couple of goldens and a couple of Pharoahs

or browns or crossbreeds.
All you have mentioned are coturnix. Brown and pharaoh are two names for the same bird. A&M, Italian, tux, range, are but all just other color phases of the same bird.

Does anyone have quail for sale (around 12 to 16 oz. as adults) that are daily egg layers?
I believe DC, Don, is in your area and sells a few birds.....12-13 oz is where most jumbo browns and jumbo whites (texas A&M) top out.... Despite claims, You will find very few coturnix in the 15-16 oz range.....

I'm picky, but I'm a good grandma/mom with an empty coop and a good sized yard. (empty nester)
They need to be housed protected from predators such as cats, rats and raptors.... Even a crow will take a coturnix. Raised coops like rabbit hutches work or aviary type ground pens work well too.

I would raise them for their eggs and as pets. I would like to be able to hand feed.
Coturnix often become hand tame.... But free ranging them is always a bad idea. letting them stroll around your yard like chickens wont work out the same. They simply are the very bottom of the food chain and are too slow to know it. once one escapes my pen, they usually freeze and stand there, scared to take a step..... When they do become comfortable enough to go about their business. They will actually look up and watch, as the big bird swoops down and grabs them..... Same with the cat.....

Hens only... I can get a roo when I get an incubator.
Yes, you can get a cock bird any time. Making introductions is sometimes more difficult that chickens thou..... Quail can be aggressive, thou coturnix the least so IMHO.....

I'm assuming that they will lay without a roo around. Will they?
Yes they will happily lay with no Roo around....
:)

Experienced advice would be much appreciated!!
good luck with your birds.....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom