1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

LOOKING FOR A BANTAM BREED...GOT ANY IDEAS??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MeghanChickLady, Oct 22, 2014.

1. MeghanChickLady

MeghanChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2014
    I an searching for small, light-weight, good looking, easy-to-manage chickens that have good feathers, don't require too much feed, are good brooders, and don't have naked necks or feathered feet. Preferably not silky feathered, or anything similar, because that doesn't do well in cold.

Got any ideas?

Please help! Thanks!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Do they need to be good egg layers?

Some of the most hardy, most independant and and easy to manage bantams are Old English Game. They often go broody and make good mothers. Many Old English Game can derive a large portion of their diet from good quality foraging. However, they aren't particularly good egg layers.

Cornish bantams may also go broody. However, they aren't as self-sufficient as Old English Game. Other possible choices include Ameraucana bantams, Wyandotte bantams, and Orpington bantams.

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    You may have to compromise. Most of the light weight, feed-efficient breeds are Mediterraneans, and they generally are not broody nor calm. Bantam Wyandottes, RIR, and EEs are definitely not light weight, and vary in temperment and broodiness. Sumatras may be a possibility.

4. MeghanChickLady

Aug 6, 2014
    Thank you for the advice. . .I DO want a bird that can make up some of its own diet. While I am not looking for eggs to eat, I am looking for eggs to lay/hatch, so I DO need a couple eggs.

5. MeghanChickLady

Aug 6, 2014
    again, thank you for the advice. You all obviously have more chicken knowledge than I do! ha ha I am not quite sure what I`ll be getting yet, but you've all definitely narrowed it down for me. Thanks!

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Wyandottes7 suggestion of Old English Games is a good one. Very self sufficient and they make excellent mothers. I just happen to like the look of the Sumatras.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  7. MeghanChickLady

Aug 6, 2014
    yeah, Im probably going to get a mix of both. Don't know yet, but I want to be prepared for spring, you know? Thank, guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by