Looking for a Bantam Breed

Calendula

Songster
7 Years
Aug 15, 2014
I would love to invest in a bantam breed of chicken that would (more than likely) be used for showing, but I'm not sure what breed to get.

I've been doing research on them, but I would love to hear your opinions and stories on the different bantam breeds before I make my official choice. :)

Woohoo! Another show bantam lover!!!

My favorite is the Modern Game Bantam. (For a photo, look at my avatar!) They may look strange, but they are great show birds and are very friendly. They are one of the most entertaining breeds of chicken, and they also have loads of personality!

Good luck choosing your bantam breed!

- BantamLover55

I've had a few different bantam breeds in the past, but the only breed that I ever won a show with was a pair of Mille Fleur D'Uccles (rooster and hen) that I got from Murray McMurray Hatchery, of all places. Who would have thought it? :eek:) They took not only best in their breed at the Hunt County Fair, but best in show as well. No one was more surprised than I was. :eek:)

I was kinda looking at the Modern Game Bantam, actually. Definitely funny looking, but I guess that as show birds that would be good. Haha.

Seriously? I love D'Uccles. There were a few at the fair I went to and they were just gorgeous. Not sure how I feel about those feathered feet, though... they get dirty so easily. =/ Are they a friendly breed?
I can believe that surprise. My pair of Orpingtons took second place in their section at fair. Needless to say, I was extremely surprised at how well they did compared to some of those other birds. We got them from the local feed store.

Seriously? I love D'Uccles. There were a few at the fair I went to and they were just gorgeous. Not sure how I feel about those feathered feet, though... they get dirty so easily. =/ Are they a friendly breed?
I've only had a few D'Uccles so I'm hardly an expert on them, but the few that I had were quite friendly.

That's always good. I will definitely consider them and do some more research on them. :) I love how many different colors they come in.

How are the D'Uccles roosters? I don't really want an aggressive breed, even if they are tiny...

How are the D'Uccles roosters? I don't really want an aggressive breed, even if they are tiny...

I only kept one of them (the one I entered in the county fair) and gave the others away while they were still young, but the one I kept wasn't aggressive (granted, he had the hens all to himself).

As long as their not too human aggressive, I don't really mind since I only plan on keeping one rooster. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom