Looking for a better locking mechanism for my pop door

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by suzyQlou, Jul 28, 2011.

1. suzyQlou

suzyQlou Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Dillsburg, PA
    My Coop
    My pop door is a guillotine style sliding door. It slides up to let the hens out, and down to lock the girls in the coop for the night. I've kind of built myself into a corner because I can't reach the door very well, and my plan for locking the door hasn't really worked out.

Here's a photo of my coop and the pop door so you can see my setup. There are doorways in the coop and in the run. They must line up for the girls to jump out into the run. I move both the coop and run every day.
    [​IMG]

At first, I was just using a regular hasp latch kind of like this on the bottom of the coop's pop door:
    [​IMG]
    I had two problems: 1) Bedding kept getting stuck in the doorway, and made it hard for the latch to close and 2) my portable run was in the way, so I had to move everything just to lock and unlock the door.

Now I'm using U-shaped pipe holders to secure the door. I insert a dowl-like stick through the pipe holders in the doorframe and the door. That holds the door down.
    [​IMG]

What I need, is a way to secure my dowl-like stick so that a predator doesn't just pop the stick out, and open the pop door. I think what I need is a stall latch kind of contraption like this one. It would slide through all my U-shaped pipe holders, and then I could lock it in place.
    [​IMG]

The problem is that I can't find stall latches that are longer than 10 inches. I would need between 24 and 30 inches long to fit my door.

I'm looking for any kind of suggestion. The thing that is important to me is that I can secure it from the side of the coop, outside of the run. Of course I also want something that IS secure.

2. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    how about the long PINS that are used to latch the bottom and top of double doors. You could have them slide sideways instead vertical. I've seen some as long as 2'. I'm using the same style door as you, but no lock, I have the door weighted at top and bottom and the bottom lip on coop is 4" high. i don't believe a Raccoon can push it up or get his"hand" to the bottom of the door to get a grip on the bottom edge to lift it up.

3. suzyQlou

suzyQlou Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Dillsburg, PA
    My Coop
    That looks promising, Florida Lee. Thanks for the idea. I'm poking around online and it looks like a "flush bolt" for double doors might be what you're describing. I should probably just poke around down at the hardware store and see if anything like that looks promising. At least now I have a good place to start!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by