Looking for a Blue Orpington rooster

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Cara, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I just can't hatch anything but pullets! Does anyone have a spare rooster they don't want? Ideally 3-4 months old, and must be able to ship to NM. Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

With the way I've been hatching IF I ever get any Blue orps I'm sure I'll have plenty of roos to send you!!! [​IMG]

3. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Just the one will do [​IMG] I'm beginning to wonder if Blue Orpington eggs don't ship as well as other breeds

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Me too....I've got some from sunchick in right now that I need to candle. I've only tried one other batch from Catalpa and only two made it to the end and then they didn't hatch. I'm getting some eggs next week from bamachicken so I hope I have some luck and at least get a start on them.

Good luck in your search!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've often wondered if they don't ship as well myself. Maybe that makes them all the more valuable, right? Maybe it'll take twice as many tries to get the number birds you want, but in the end, so worth it!

6. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Cara, I have found that to be true having recieved and shipped. I only have some six week old cockerals right now.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

By the way Cyn.....I love your avatar!

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Thanks, Katy! You like my Blue Turkey, huh? I had to check out one of his feet yesterday because I saw him pick at the bottom of it, so I had to go catch and hold him while DH looked him over. OMGosh! That is one heavy boy! He went to sleep in my arms, LOL. What a sweetheart he is. We tried to weigh him, but my scale isn't that sensitive. It says he weighs 10 lb, but I'm skeptical. I think he weighs more than that, maybe 11 or so.

9. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I agree on the blue orps and shipping. I think some of cyns stopped developing part way. I've forced myself not to look again, So I won't know for sure, but I'm having a heck of a time getting my group here too. I did just get a new really strong flashlight to candle, so maybe I'm seeing what's really going on for the first time. [​IMG]

As far as only hatching pullets, can you come give me that illness? Well, after I get my blue boys here anyway. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  10. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I think i've set a total of 36 eggs over two hatches, and ended up with 4 chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by