Looking for a breed that goes broody often

chickie fam

Songster
8 Years
Jan 31, 2011
Erwin, NC
I'm wanting to start getting some breeds that will go broody a couple times a year. Does anyone know what the best breed for that would be?

Here is a list I wrote up about percentages of broodiness:
100% - Red Junglefowl
95% - Boxwood
90% - Most Barnyard fowl; Bow Lake fowl; Sebright; Phoenix; Landraces
80-85% - Cochin; Pekin; Silkies
75% - Dorking; Wyandotte; Chantecler
70% - Sussex; Faverolle; Barnevelder
60-65% - Plymouth Rock; RIR; NH; Buckeye; Brahma; Langshan; Marans; Welsummer
Minus 50% - Mediteranean breeds

Hope this is helpful!

I have 2 silkie hens with a roo and they have both been broody 4 times since I got them in April last year. They were 9 months old when I got them. I love my broody silkies, and when the hens stop mothering the roo steps in and sleeps with the babies and teaches them more. Its amazing!

I have 2 silkie hens with a roo and they have both been broody 4 times since I got them in April last year. They were 9 months old when I got them. I love my broody silkies, and when the hens stop mothering the roo steps in and sleeps with the babies and teaches them more. Its amazing!

I've really been tossing around the idea of getting silkies but I've heard they don't tolerate heat well and our summer gets really hot. I don't know if its true or not

missydcpc,
I see that you're trying to get either GLW or SLW? I have both and I must say I love both of them. The SLW are very pretty with their contracting colors, they're one of my favorites

I really need to change my signature. The local farm where I ordered the majority of my chicks (with the exception of the ameracaunas and ees, which I'm getting from sgtmom on here, and she's wonderful to deal with) decided that they didn't want to sell chicks, and reneged on my order. So I've been scrambling to order/find chicks. I have BLRW which were born Feb 15th that the breeder is holding until the buff Orps and Marans are born on the 6th. I have wellies and Delawares on order from Whitmore Farms. I've picked up barred rocks from the feed store. Picked up brown leghorns and red pullets at TSC. Going to pick up speckled Sussex at the feed store tomorrow. And of course there's my silver seabright trio.

Barnyard fowl are mutts, usually bantams, that are made up of other broody breeds.

For several broods per year, you'd probably want 90-100%. Junglefowl have been known to do up to 3 clutches a year.

There is another point that should be made, and missydcpc pointed it out to me: different strains can perform differently. Dorkings, OEGBs, Sebrights, Dutch, and Chanteclers have different strains, and some go and some don't. 100% is the ultimate (Wild junglefowl). You very rarely ever find non-broody specimens.

Back
Top Bottom