Looking for a breeder/hatchery for less common breeds

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kaugomu, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Kaugomu

Kaugomu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    San Antonio
    I'm looking to add ducks to our backyard poultry for the first time this spring, but I'm having a really hard time tracking down a hatchery or breeder. Where is a good place to order from? I'm looking for small order (5 or less, preferably 3) and rare breeds (in particular Ancona, Appleyard, Call, Magpie, and or Saxony). The only place I've found with these breeds is efowl.com, which after reading reviews here is a no go. Thanks!

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Calls are very small ducks and are not shipped as ducklings. They dont travel well until they are 3 months old or older. They also really shouldnt be kept with LF ducks because of the size difference a large drake can injure or kill a small call duck.

We have Ancona and Silver Appleyards both, Coyote Nights has Ancona and Silkie Ducks (think silkie chicken like but call duck body)

I would avoid efowl, as you have already read, they order from other sources to fill many of their orders.

3. Kaugomu

May 26, 2011
    San Antonio
    Thanks for the info, I knew calls were smaller, I guess I didn't realize how small.

When do you expect you first hatch for orders this spring?

4. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    We are hatching about weekly now, whats hatching depends on orders really for us. This weekend is geese, SA, Khaki and chickens. I know Coyote Nights is currently hatching her Ancona.

5. Kaugomu

May 26, 2011
    San Antonio
    Do you ship small quantities, or mixed shipments of both chickens and ducks?

6. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    yes, and yes [​IMG]

7. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    You might check with Metzer Farms....they are in located in Bay area California. They shipped my Indian Runners as day-olds and the ducklings were super healthy and happy. They were very nice and they specialize in water fowl. They will ship in quantiites of 2 or more, I don't remember all of what breeds they have but I know it is pretty extensive and their website is a wealth of information about breeds and waterfowl care. Even if you don't order from them, the website is worth checking out [​IMG] Good luck with your ducks! My Runner girls live in the same pen as my chicken hens and while there was a little controversy at first they live great together now. Will you be getting ducks and drakes? Or just ducks?

8. Spifflove

Spifflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2012
    Stromberg has those breeds plus Aylesbury. Sadly Metzer does not.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  9. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    Boondockers ships Ancona and Saxony ducklings and they are in Oregon, so a little closer to you. They received Holderread's flock of Anconas.

http://boondockers.sharepoint.com/Pages/Poultry.aspx

10. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I've heard good things about Holderread's....are they still in business?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by