Looking for a Broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by teamsunbelt, Jul 6, 2011.

1. teamsunbelt

teamsunbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    Can you encourage a hen to sit? I know I have fertile eggs, I have a couple good hens for moms, I just need one to sit. Is there something I can do to help them along?

I currently have 3 golfballs in one nest, just an idea I got from somewhere. I try to leave my eggs in the nest as long as I can in a day also. Any ideas would help.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Nope. I've tried all the tricks. I even have a hen that shows all the signs of being broody - belly plucked, screeches, bites, blows up like a blowfish. Then she lays her egg and goes on her merry way like nothing happened. Got home last night from a trip and there were 39 eggs in that coop and still no broodies.

You just gotta wait until their hormones kick in. It's frustrating as heck sometimes. [​IMG]

3. teamsunbelt

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    Have you ever had a Welsummer go broody? I have one and wish I had more.

4. Nmarine1057

Nmarine1057 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Byhalia Ms
    Quote:I wish I love the breed put they will hardly ever go broody. My wife got some silkies so I'm hoping they will be my sitters [​IMG]

5. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:It's very rare to have a welsummer go broody - and even more rare that they make good mothers. A couple people here have been very fortunate to get both.

6. teamsunbelt

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    Is it easier to go with eggs or day olds when it comes to Welsummers?

7. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    Get a Cochin. mine is a determined broody. You can't talk her out of it.

8. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Depends what you want them for.

Me, I'd order eggs from a breeder. If you go the hatchery route, Estes hatchery is supposed to have the best welsummers.

9. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    wanna know what worked for me? buying two incubators, and hatching multiple batches of eggs. as soon as i had 50 youngin's running around that i myself incubated and brooded artificially.. then, THEN.. i kid you not.. THREE of my hens went broody. THREE. i think they just like being contrary. [​IMG]

as for real advice, i second getting a cochin hen or two.

10. teamsunbelt

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    I am hoping that my Orpington will go broody soon. Of course, at best I would get a few Wyandottes of who knows what color and some mutts. Not sure how good a Wyandotte and Welsummer cross. I am looking at borrowing an incubator soon to give it a try. If so, I may hunt down some pure Welsummers to add in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by